What's new

Password on wake-up but only after a certain period

TravFlex

I like that the surface goes to sleep/connected standby when I don't use it for a few minutes. I'm in a lot of meetings and this really helps extend the battery duration.

However it's a bit annoying to put in the (picture) password each time it wakes up.

I'd like it to wake-up without needing a password if it's been asleep a shorter period (i.e. I assume i'm nearby but just have not touched it in a few minutes) and require password if it wakes up from a longer sleep period (e.g. 20 or 30 minutes).

Is this possible and how would I do it?

annabanana

You can change the password time settings. Go to PC settings, Accounts, Sign-in options, bottom of page, set password policy, set time for requiring password.

Grumpy2

You can change the password time settings. Go to PC settings, Accounts, Sign-in options, bottom of page, set password policy, set time for requiring password.
Gee annabanana I do not have that option. All I have on the option page are:
1. Password
2. Picture password
3. Pin.

There is nothing else. No option at all to set or change the password required time. There is also nothing under your account or other accounts.
This is most frustrating. I am continually signing in which is a pain in the neck.i would like the option to set a time after which I need to sign in or have the option to not sign in at all.

nipponham

My system is in Japanese but here's a translated screenshot of where you should be looking.
I have mine set to appear after five minutes.

screenshot.png

Grumpy2

Unfortunately mine has the top3 but nothing under "pin". In other words what you have highlighted is missing from my screen.

OP
T

TravFlex

I have this option and it was and is still set for 15 minutes. However when I let it fall asleep (in 5 minutes) it asks for a password when waking up.

Anabanana, was your reply in general or specific to waking up from sleep?

When I set up my email (exchange) it said something about increasing security by requiring password or something like that but I don't recall the exact message.

annabanana

I have this option and it was and is still set for 15 minutes. However when I let it fall asleep (in 5 minutes) it asks for a password when waking up.

Anabanana, was your reply in general or specific to waking up from sleep?

When I set up my email (exchange) it said something about increasing security by requiring password or something like that but I don't recall the exact message.

What is your setting for sleep? I have mine set for sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity when on battery and after 30 minutes when plugged in.
So my password setting is shorter than my sleep setting. In the power options in control panel you can set require a password on wake up, yes or no. Mine is set to yes.

OP
T

TravFlex

What is your setting for sleep? I have mine set for sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity when on battery and after 30 minutes when plugged in.
So my password setting is shorter than my sleep setting. In the power options in control panel you can set require a password on wake up, yes or no. Mine is set to yes.
My sleep setting when on battery is 5 minutes and the password setting (accounts > sign in options > Require password after the display off for) is 15 minutes. So my settings are opposite of yours.

I can see why it would work for you since it doesn't go to sleep but the screen does go off. I can probably do the same, but only the screen off doesn't save as much battery. Since Connected Standby exists I want to make use of it. The default settings by MS for the SP3 is even 3 minutes so they clearly intend that type of use, but putting the password in every time is a hassle.