What's new

Painting on SP3

Fuzzle

Hej guys,

I want to buy an SP3, but there's one Question standing in the way:

How good is it for painting?

What i really want to know is:
how is the screen textured? (i don't like to draw/ write on a slippery Glas-surface like most Tablets and i need the screen to give a little resistence similar to paper when i want to work precisely/ intuitive.

And if it doesn't feel like Paper (or at least like the texture/ surface that most wacom-lineup-tablets have) then,
Is there a way to give it "paperfeel" or a better writting-resistance without decreasing screen resolution too havily ("moiré"-effect et.c.)?

This is really important for me as i want to paint and write a lot, but cant aqcuire a taste for the whole "pen on glas" thing.

Thanks! (And sorry for my bad englisch)
Fuzzle

BillJ

There are several other threads in this forum that deal with the "artistic experience" with the
SP3. I am not an artist, so the performance of the pen for taking notes, drawing diagrams, and annotations is perfect for me.
However, some artists do not feel that the SP3 is nearly as good as other Wacom tablets for drawing and painting.
The glass display surface is just that- slippery glass. There may be screen covers or pen tip replacements that may simulate drawing on paper, but I am not aware of these.
The obvious suggestion would be to try to find a Surface device to try out, and see if it fits your needs.
I like many others on this forum love my SP3, but I realize that no device can be perfect for everybody.
Alles Gluck

OP
F

Fuzzle

Is there a subforum for artistic use?

I triedt he forum search but it didnt't work at all... (and still doesn't)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Were probably not supposed to say this but there might be a Surface Artist forum online if you search for it although there are several artists and artistic types around here also. However, I'm not an artist...

IDK maybe there's a screen protector type thing that would give you the feel you want and that shouldn't interfere with your pen/brush.

Good luck in your search.

Maximus3D

I do artistc painting, digital sculpting and photo editing/retouching on my Surface Pro 3 and despite it's somewhat smooth screen it works just fine. A slightly rougher screen is ofcourse more ideal when you want it to feel more like real paper but the downside of that is the wear of pen nibs will be greatly increased.

Your only alternative is to find a suitable screen protector which simulates the feel of paper more accurately.

/ Magnus

OP
F

Fuzzle

And there're really no People here who Share my preference for such a painting expierence or a paperfeel experience?

So no one can recomend a good Screen Protector that gives this haptics without decreasing the Resolution too hard (i can live with a smal loss of
Quality but not with a constant "Moiré-Effect").

However, here is what I've found by Internet Research, its one Thread where someone recomends Tech Armor Screen Protectors, but thats really all i've found:
http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/1575-screen-protection-for-surface-pro-3/

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being an artistic type you might experiment with screen protector etching to achieve the desired effect. Then you could market it yourself or sell your IP to someone else. :)

Liam2349

If you got a rough screen protector, your nibs would probably wear pretty quick and it wouldn't be very convenient to use outside of your sketching.

I'm no artist, but there is cool software you can get like Fresh Paint. You can even mix paints and your stroke will dry up and require a new stroke with more paint as in real life, which I think it quite cool.

LazyZen

Hi guys!
Would to know, if i take one SP3 with core i3, it's enough good for painting? or work slowly and laggy with Ps, Corel Painter?
Thnx.

malberttoo

Hi guys!
Would to know, if i take one SP3 with core i3, it's enough good for painting? or work slowly and laggy with Ps, Corel Painter?
Thnx.

Hey Lazy, welcome to the forum!

I would expect that the i3 would be able to keep up with what you described.

LazyZen

Hey Lazy, welcome to the forum!

I would expect that the i3 would be able to keep up with what you described.

Ciao Malbertoo, thnx for answer, so it is not huge difference with icore 3 with icore 5? At present I am a owner ipad air 2(which i wish sell for now), but its screen is not compatible with a thin stylus, (Adonit, wacom ISC2), and it is practically impossible to draw anything. At this moment I am looking for an alternative, I thought surface pro 3, good enough to draw at least in the store today, I tried to do a couple of lines in the firmware, the responsiveness of the pen and less straight lines surprised me compared to the ipad, but not know how to behave adobe illustrator or corel painter, where there will be many layers will be enough CPU power? 4Gb ram should be enough in my opinion, you have had the experience, what do you say?

malberttoo

Ciao Malbertoo, thnx for answer, so it is not huge difference with icore 3 with icore 5? At present I am a owner ipad air 2(which i wish sell for now), but its screen is not compatible with a thin stylus, (Adonit, wacom ISC2), and it is practically impossible to draw anything. At this moment I am looking for an alternative, I thought surface pro 3, good enough to draw at least in the store today, I tried to do a couple of lines in the firmware, the responsiveness of the pen and less straight lines surprised me compared to the ipad, but not know how to behave adobe illustrator or corel painter, where there will be many layers will be enough CPU power? 4Gb ram should be enough in my opinion, you have had the experience, what do you say?

Well I don't actually have any experience as an artist, I only reply to your question, will the i3 be enough for drawing.

Let's keep nd eye on this thread, and see if some of the artists here (there are several good ones!) see and reply to you with their advice.

In the mean time, you can Google "Surface Pro 3 for drawing" and get some more background information. :cool: