What's new

overheating after install windows 8.1 :(

GaudiestJA

hi well today i install windows 8.1 and i love it :) but the problem is on my sp. its too hot... im using coretemp for check my sp temperature and the normal temperature is 58/59 degress when before to install the update my normal temperature is 43/41 :S. somebody know about this issue? im worried :S

fonzman78

I installed the 8.1 preview tonight. While it was doing the update, my SP did get warmer than usual. I suspect it was because it was a large, 2.5gb, download and upgrade. Since it has finished, my temps are back to normal. I haven't had any temp warming at all.

The upgrade went well without any hiccups. Now I need to play with it some more. They did add the Start icon back in desktop mode. But it appears to just bring up the Win 8 Start screen. Not sure why they made such a big deal about bringing it back.

jeffskent

I too am running 8.1 and installed Coretemp just to see. I have been running my SP since the day it was released, driving a 27" monitor, a usb sound bar and 6 GB of external storage and a Blu-Ray player. It has always run warm to the touch, but not too hot to handle. Coretemp says it is running 58 to 61 C, or about 135 F. This seems warm to me, but it still feels the same temp as before. Warm to the touch but not hot. Several add-ons from the coretemp download page attempting (actually doing so, really) to change my start page and my default search engine. Search redirect malware, if I say so myself. It even managed to install a Genieo homepage button in my taskbar, all without my ok or approval. The new face of malware I suppose. Uninstalled via Chrome settings, but still...

vinumsv

Try Freewares like openhardwaremonitor instead of ad-supported ones

application.png

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/files/openhardwaremonitor-v0.5.1-beta.zip

Just unzip :p

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Keep and mind that it will do a lot of Indexing after the install, give it some time to see if Temps go back to normal.

TeknoBlast

My ultrabook's HD was running 100% for a long while after the update and locking up the PC. Had to reset it back to factory.

jmarsh07

I installed the 8.1 preview tonight. While it was doing the update, my SP did get warmer than usual. I suspect it was because it was a large, 2.5gb, download and upgrade. Since it has finished, my temps are back to normal. I haven't had any temp warming at all.

The upgrade went well without any hiccups. Now I need to play with it some more. They did add the Start icon back in desktop mode. But it appears to just bring up the Win 8 Start screen. Not sure why they made such a big deal about bringing it back.

The start menu has always been there, all you had to do was right click the bottom left hand corner. I don't know why nobody has figured this out. But that's all you need to do to get to it.

tonyz3

The start menu has always been there, all you had to do was right click the bottom left hand corner. I don't know why nobody has figured this out. But that's all you need to do to get to it.
MY thoughts are it is a psychological thing with people They need to see it docked on the desktop even though they don't use it. :big smile:

Chase_Payne

People still have troubles with the charms menu, it's not surprising how people though the start button was completely gone.