What's new

Outlook / Lync 2013 won't reconnect automatically when Surface Pro comes out of sleep

gitrdone564

We just bought 2 Surface Pros and really like them. This issue is nagging though and will be a bit of a deal breaker to get them deployed to our remote sales staff.

Here's the scenario:
We are using Outlook 2013 and Lync 2013 to connect to Office 365 not a local Exchange and Lync server.

We move the device around the office or at home and bring it out of standby/sleep/hibernation (not sure which it is honestly).
[Edit]The device is going to sleep and subsequently resuming per the event logs[/Edit]

Outlook 2013 says 'Trying to Connect' and never seems to reconnect. Lync usually says 'Signing Out'.

The WiFi connection comes back just fine. We can browse the Internet without issue. Closing out of Outlook and/or Lync and opening them up again works just fine and both apps reconnect.

I thought it was an Outlook / Lync issue so we tested on a laptop with Windows 8 Pro x64 and cannot reproduce the issue. It happens on both devices we've purchased.

If my device is connected to my Toshiba dynadock docking station I never have the issue even when leaving the device alone for an hour or so.

I am sending the same inquiry to MS support on this. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced the issue.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
You might want to try hibernate instead of sleep and see what happens. If nothing else you should see extended battery life as the Pro has a fairly decent drain even in sleep mode.

turismon

Hi, were you ever able to figure this out? I have the same issue when going to sleep just not on surface but laptop as well with Office 2013 and Lync 2013. Only way to get them to connect is close them down and restart them.