What's new

Solved Original surface help!

Ethel

Hoping someone here can help.... I have the original surface for about 4 years and love it. I bought a type cover 2 a few days ago from amazon and it's not working. I've tried refreshing, and updating but no joy. The mouse pad works but I am unable to type. Any help would be appreciated!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you look in Device Manager does the Type Cover show an Exclamation Mark next to it?

OP
E

Ethel

When you look in Device Manager does the Type Cover show an Exclamation Mark next to it?

It doesn't even seem to detect the device when I look in device manager. The keys all light up and the function buttons work but just can't type!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Shut down the RT completely...then hold the Volume Rocker Down and press power keeping the rocker pressed until the Surface Logo comes up, exit the UEFI Screen, allow to reboot and see if it detects the Cover.

OP
E

Ethel

Shut down the RT completely...then hold the Volume Rocker Down and press power keeping the rocker pressed until the Surface Logo comes up, exit the UEFI Screen, allow to reboot and see if it detects the Cover.

Hmmm no sorry, no joy! Still not picking it up.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does it show up as an Unknown Device in Device Manager? Have you run Windows Update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't even see it in devices, it doesn't show up at all! Yes I updated yesterday.

Nothing like this?

upload_2017-4-13_17-19-7.png

OP
E

Ethel

Oh yes I see it! Thanks! It says unknown device, no drivers are installed. How do I go about fixing that? Thanks so much for your help so far!

OP
E

Ethel

I have updated the driver but still can't seem to get it to work. It is still showing up as I know device under other devices.

OP
E

Ethel

Updated the driver and then refreshed the surface and now it's working! Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it!