What's new

Open plea for Microsoft to make the MSN homepage work on a Surface.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Expletive Microsoft get the Surface team, Windows Team, and MSN teams together and figure out how to make the expletive MSN homepage "horizontal scrolling frame" move forward and back without going back to the last site or sticking and not moving at all or half advancing when you try to view a link. {expletive string} this is the most frustrating thing and I think you expletive suck because you continually ignore the most obvious flaw. The most upfront showcase for your technology is fundamentally broken and always has been. When you don't even care enough to take the time to resolve this kind of issue it's very off putting for the entire corporation. If you can't fix it then change the expletive design. {expletive string} morons.

MSNhomepage.PNG

Yellow line around the horizontal scrolling area featured on the MSN homepage as it has for years.
Red shows forward back arrows which show or don't show randomly but this area is also swipe enabled so swiping right to left should advance the frame, swipe left to right should go to previous frame but frequently results in going back to the previous page instead. sometimes it ignores swiping, rarely but happens on occasion it will advance the page but that is usually not an option in context anyway.. sometimes touching an item to view the article results in advancing the frame by about half (not a full frame advance just partial) touching again may give another partial frame advance. the white dots at the bottom indicate the item your on in the list.

One reason you may want to go back is the list auto advances to the next item after some delay although sometimes when you advance manually you hit a timing window where it also auto advances at the same or very close to your manual action leaving insufficient time to fully read or assess the item. sure you can advance your way back around to view it again (if your unlucky it will bite you again or stop working altogether.)

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you talking about the bar(s) along the top where you scroll to select skype, facebook, twitter etc? (I can't see any other horizontal scrolling section to the homepage, although granted it's the GB not US site)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you talking about the bar(s) along the top where you scroll to select skype, facebook, twitter etc? (I can't see any other horizontal scrolling section to the homepage, although granted it's the GB not US site)
Updated post above with image of homepage and explanations. this only shows the top portion of the page ... the rest of the page does not have any other horizontal scrolling frames.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
IE or Edge? Using Edge the site works as expected, works in IE but a bit laggy (have to drag the finger to make the scroll work)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IE or Edge? Using Edge the site works as expected, works in IE but a bit laggy (have to drag the finger to make the scroll work)
I'm using Edge mostly on both S3 & SP3. It does work sometimes but not consistently enough to not annoy the crap out of me, just when you think it's ok, bang off to another site/page...

Id kill for the ability to disable page swipe back in Edge, that would eliminate the biggest problem.