What's new

OneNote very annoying

Jordi32

I was wondering if someone knew how to prevent the menu and the onscreen keyboard from appearing when using the pen on OneNote. It is very annoying...

Also, OneNote keeps crashing...

Thank you in advance.

jrhillma

Desktop OneNote or MUA? On desktop, there's a button up along the top (by the blue disk icon) that lets you switch between mouse mode and touch mode. Not sure if that would make a difference in the keyboard popping up. I don't recall it being an issue, but perhaps it is and I'm just blocking it out. :S

InspectHerGadget

I use the metro version too. It is designed for touch obviously and writing. It works well on my SP2. My use is just for taking notes though, no art work or anything fancy.

OP
J

Jordi32

How do you prevent the menu and the online keyboard from popping out while writing with your pen, InspectHerGadget?

InspectHerGadget

How do you prevent the menu and the online keyboard from popping out while writing with your pen, InspectHerGadget?
I use modern OneNote as it works so nicely.

I have the SP2 and while I don't use the desktop version, I just tried and had no issues either with the keyboard attached or not and I tried writing with my palm on the menus and all that.

Palm rejection is most likely the issue. This is where touch input is disabled while the pen is being used. This feature works well on my SP2 but is hit and miss on the SP3 (which is why I returned it).

The SP1/2 have a layer in the screen developed by Wacom, this seems to work much better IMHO, especially with respect to palm rejection but also it is solid and not prone to vagaries of electronics in the pen. The Wacom pen will also detect the screen at 2cm rather than 1cm on the SP3.

On the SP3 you just have to be more careful that the pen touches down and stays very close to the screen in order for touch to be disabled.

OP
J

Jordi32

InspectHerGadget,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately I have been trying to avoid getting the menu and/or the keyboard popped out when resting my palm on the screen close to the bottom but they keep popping out, mainly the menu. Also, the metro OneNote keeps crashing so that I have to reopen it. It gets very annoying... I wonder if there is an issue with my unit or if I am not supposed to rest my palm on the screen when close to the bottom. Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jordi

InspectHerGadget

InspectHerGadget,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately I have been trying to avoid getting the menu and/or the keyboard popped out when resting my palm on the screen close to the bottom but they keep popping out, mainly the menu. Also, the metro OneNote keeps crashing so that I have to reopen it. It gets very annoying... I wonder if there is an issue with my unit or if I am not supposed to rest my palm on the screen when close to the bottom. Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Jordi
It is hard to say if there is an issue there with your pen or SP3, it could be either causing the issue of crashing frequently in OneNote (which didn't happen to me).

The distance that the SP3 detects the pen is only one cm so you need to keep this in mind and try to make sure you keep the tip this close to the screen when your palm is touching. It is annoying I agree and even lifting the pen tip too far can result in your palm setting off something unintended.

Some people find it easier than others. I'm left handed and the pages are down the LHS on modern OneNote so I found I needed to use full screen but even that still caused me issues.

To me, an active pen is just another source of potential issues with it's electronics and relying on it to wake immediately and have the screen detect it.

If you don't like it then return it if you can and if you want to.

I went back to my SP2 which for me is better for pen performance and writing but I already had it sitting there to be used so it was easy for me.

I miss the performance of the i7 on the SP3 but for the most part the SP2 is good although I use an Arc mouse as the trackpad is poor.

Remember an SP2 is yesterday's technology...:) and hence can be got for half the new price and often only a few months old. The i5 processor is either very similar or in some cases exactly the same ie., 4200/4300.

WoogieBoogie

it is indeed palm detection happening when you dont want it, and its very annoying. The best way around it is to ensure the pen is near the surface at all times - its not too difficult to get in the habit of resting your hand with the pen near the surface between notes. also, if the keyboard does pop up, it gets automatically dismissed as soon as you start to use the pen or bring the pen near the screen - there's no need to click the "X" on the keyboard. Hope this helps.