What's new

Solved OneNote -space issue revisited

jott27

I write this post mainly for my own purpose, but think it might provide some insight into the working way of OneNote. My purpose is to get my first try of including a screen shot. There are two screenshots, the one on the right shows seven pics, each in a separate container. The one on the left shows the same pics, except pic 3 was deleted. You will see now an unused space between pic2 and pic4. In a previous post I asked the question how to eliminate this unused space. So far I can accomplish this only by moving all pics 4 to 7 upwards one at a time. Imagine you might have a great number of pics, you might find this a cumbersome task.
So the question is still open: "can it be done, and if yes, then how? "
experiment.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
An excellent post. Perfect use of screen shots.

Yes, here is how you can accomplish this:

Using the trackpad, pen, or mouse:
1. Select all the containers 4,5,6,7 by drawing a box around them.
2. Click and hold inside the new box of items, and drag the multiple selection where you want it.

In this way, multiple containers can be moved in batches.

Edited.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If you MUST have automatic page layout adjusting as you describe, you may use Microsoft Word. Word will automatically close up vacancies between pictures. Pictures are still resizable, as they are in OneNote.

OP
jott27

jott27

Using the trackpad, pen, or mouse:
1. Select all the containers 4,5,6,7 by drawing a box around them.
2. Click and hold inside the new box of items, and drag the multiple selection where you want it.

In this way, multiple containers can be moved in batches.
Have you actually tried this? I have my doubt's that it would work. The box you draw around the four containers 4,5,6,7 is only a layer floating above the four picture containers and has no effect on the four containers below its position. If you drag the box away, you will notice that it is only an empty box you have moved. Ideally, you would want to have a container and not a box around the four pic containers. You might achieve this by creating a container first and then somehow move the four pics containers into it. (not sure it could be done). I will wait for a reply and then will follow it up with a screwball solution of my own that I actually tried out with full success.

OP
jott27

jott27

Screenshot (6).png
Yes, I tried this. Seems it may not have worked for you because you were inserting a new container
Even as you say it worked for you, it might be a bit cumbersome when you are dealing with a great number of pics, all in separate containers on one page. Suppose, you took over hundred pictures during your last vacation. You got them all into one page, each pic in a separate container. Your intention is to edit this sometime later by adding text and modify the collection by removing unwanted pics, but you also do not want to have unused spaces.
Well, this is how I would accomplish the task. (I also tried it out and it worked just perfectly)

First I will sync my notebook with my ancient Surface 2 where I have the capability to add and delete space to my hearts content. Here is a screenshot that will show the "Insert Space" icon on the upper left.
When I am finished I sync again and the task is finished and is in it's completed form in my SP6. It is too bad that the "Insert Space" feature is no longer available in the new and improved (???) version of OneNote.

Screenshot (6).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    105.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    105.5 KB · Views: 419

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found a solution. You are an entrepreneur and a pioneer.

Thanks for sharing your solution with all of us.