What's new

Solved OneNote Modern UI- How to open a notebook?

TriniGuy

I'm using OneNote on my SP3 in both the desktop version and in the "Metro"/"Modern UI"/"Windows Store" version (however you want to call it).

I've just created a new notebook using the desktop app and saved it in my OneDrive. Then I opened the Metro app and wanted to open that notebook. However, I'm not seeing any option to do so.

At the bottom of the column to the left which lists all my notebooks I see a plus + sign to create a new notebook, but no option to open an already existing one. If I swipe up from the bottom, I don't see any option for opening a notebook either.

I managed to open the web-based version of OneNote in Internet Explorer and selected the option to open the section on my PC, which opened the notebook in the Metro app. However, this seems like a convoluted work-around to me.

Am I missing something? Is everyone else experiencing the same problem?

nipponham

New notebooks made in the desktop app shows up in the Metro version fairly quickly below your current notebooks, about the 3-4 seconds it takes to sync it. If you were able to open the new notebook online, it sounds like your Metro OneNote is not syncing properly. Check your settings to make sure that it's set to sync with where ever you keep your OneNote.

ctitanic

I never had to do anything special to get my notes into OneNote MUI. But at the same time I mostly use the desktop version.

OP
T

TriniGuy

New notebooks made in the desktop app shows up in the Metro version fairly quickly below your current notebooks, about the 3-4 seconds it takes to sync it. If you were able to open the new notebook online, it sounds like your Metro OneNote is not syncing properly. Check your settings to make sure that it's set to sync with where ever you keep your OneNote.
Screenshot (12).png

Yep, I have it set to sync notebooks automatically! I wonder why I'm having this problem? All my other notebooks that had been opened automatically when I first installed the Metro app sync normally too.

OP
T

TriniGuy

What is the default folder that your OneNote files get saved to in your OneDrive? Mine was the Documents folder inside OneDrive.

I tried creating a notebook in the root folder instead, and it showed up automatically in the Metro app! Then, I tried creating another new notebook again in the Documents folder, and sure enough it appeared in the Metro app after about 5 seconds, just as nipponham said it would.

I wonder if this little "trick" of saving something in the root folder got it to start recognizing new notebooks again, or maybe syncing just "kicked in" later on in the day.

johnj2803

if you set up onenote to auto sync using onedrive it should appear.

using the metro app, swipe up from the bottom and you will see sync. try that...

nipponham

What is the default folder that your OneNote files get saved to in your OneDrive? Mine was the Documents folder inside OneDrive.

I tried creating a notebook in the root folder instead, and it showed up automatically in the Metro app! Then, I tried creating another new notebook again in the Documents folder, and sure enough it appeared in the Metro app after about 5 seconds, just as nipponham said it would.

I wonder if this little "trick" of saving something in the root folder got it to start recognizing new notebooks again, or maybe syncing just "kicked in" later on in the day.
My notebooks are saved to root in OneDrive, not the Documents folder. I haven't changed anything so I'm assuming this is the default setting. Whether this has anything to do with how quickly new notebooks show up in Metro, I doubt it but you never know...

OP
T

TriniGuy

Update: Eventually the notebooks showed up. I still have issues with this now, as new notebooks don't show up instantly. However, after about a 5-10 minute delay (and maybe exiting and restarting the app) they eventually do show up. It just isn't as fast as I would have liked. Oh well!