What's new

OneNote in Windows 10

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OneNote on small screens defaults to a Full Screen View....

My point being that any interface on a small screen is going to be pretty naff, certainly my experience on nearly every app i've used. I'd rather the small screen guys just suffer a bit and the focus in on what the vast majority of people will be using, computers. Is this why MUI onenote has the most appaling note management system i've ever come across, because it's been designed from the ground up to be used via touch? A handful of powerpoint presentations and my MUI onenote becomes a waste of my time.

I can't stand this whole mobile first thinking. Just look at where paypal now stands. Their desktop site is a joke. Unity is great, but there has to be a limit somewhere.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My point being that any interface on a small screen is going to be pretty naff, certainly my experience on nearly every app i've used. I'd rather the small screen guys just suffer a bit and the focus in on what the vast majority of people will be using, computers. Is this why MUI onenote has the most appaling note management system i've ever come across, because it's been designed from the ground up to be used via touch? A handful of powerpoint presentations and my MUI onenote becomes a waste of my time.

I can't stand this whole mobile first thinking. Just look at where paypal now stands. Their desktop site is a joke. Unity is great, but there has to be a limit somewhere.
I haven't had an issue with either version of OneNote, I typically use OneNote 2016 unless I'm doing quick notes as I utilize Outlook and Skype for Business integration. I feel your pain though as your internet connection isn't optimal.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't had an issue with either version of OneNote, I typically use OneNote 2016 unless I'm doing quick notes as I utilize Outlook and Skype for Business integration. I feel your pain though as your internet connection isn't optimal.

I just can't use it for organising notes etc. As an example, each notebook then has say 20 subsection. Each subsection then has maybe 40 30-40 page lecture pdf's with each page as an individual sub-page. So if i then open up MUI onenote and go and access say the last item, all directories are expanded by default and i have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll, unless i want to take the time to hold press every one and minimize it. It just isn't in any way useable for me because of this alas. Grante i've not checked to see how MUI onenote has progressed since win 10's launch, havn't had a reason to use it since may.

For me organisation in onenote is paramount, and will often have 2 or 3 instances of onenote open at a time jumping around all of them, and touch just doesn't suffice.

I'm sure it works fine for others, and there are god reasons for what they have done, but it's just not my cuppa alas.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just can't use it for organising notes etc. As an example, each notebook then has say 20 subsection. Each subsection then has maybe 40 30-40 page lecture pdf's with each page as an individual sub-page. So if i then open up MUI onenote and go and access say the last item, all directories are expanded by default and i have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll, unless i want to take the time to hold press every one and minimize it. It just isn't in any way useable for me because of this alas. Grante i've not checked to see how MUI onenote has progressed since win 10's launch, havn't had a reason to use it since may.

For me organisation in onenote is paramount, and will often have 2 or 3 instances of onenote open at a time jumping around all of them, and touch just doesn't suffice.

I'm sure it works fine for others, and there are god reasons for what they have done, but it's just not my cuppa alas.
I use the desktop version for Notes Management and use the mobile version for battery savings. Use the user voice to submit suggestions as the OneNote team is using it and has already implemented some suggestions.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always like to use the desktop version because of the features and tools it has. MUI is useful only at times where i want to do nothing but ink. I shall pass on my frustrations but I don't hold much hope. MUI onenote is essentially just a mobile app. And since when was a mobile app not dummed down and lacking in features so as to give the best UX on a small screen with limited input.

Ah well. There are always alternatives. I hope the inking has been fixed in onenote 2013 or that there will be a free version of onenote 2016