What's new

Onenote baked in | how to remove?

Right upgraded to Win10, love it other than the OneNote app, WTF happened the one bundled into Win8.1 was fantastic, this replacement is asking for a 365 subscription or it's read only but generally crap. How do I remove this awful program and at the very least make my Office 2013 OneNote have priority? I've done the defaults, but the button in the action centre for notes, opens ShitNote not my Office 2013 copy.

Help please.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Office 365 else read only? No idea what you are talking about on this one. MUI onenote works just fine on win 10 for me, that is to say it's featureless pile of poop, just like the 8.1 version (in comparison to 2013 that is, they are both just fine for taking a casual note but lack any features that would actually make it a viable notepad for any professional capacity)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To confirm, I have never had a 365 subscription.

Screenshot (4).png

OP
L

lbtaylor1984

Well I have this instead, clean windows 10 install from win8.1 as per Microsoft setup

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    76.8 KB · Views: 782

Kris

Might need to go into the properties and give yourself permission to use the the folder. Sounds Dumb I have had to do it a few times.

wujae

Hi. Newbie here and just recently upgraded to W10 and had a similar issue with one note.

Digging around, I found this:

Use Win10 powershell (admin mode) and:

get-appxpackage *microsoft.office.onenote* | remove-appxpackage"

I uninstalled and reinstalled and OneNote now works fine.

Hope this helps.

wujae

Most other built in apps can be removed the same way.

Open powershell as administrator

Copy paste the following quoted commands to remove the built-in apps

Get-AppxPackage *3d* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *bing* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *zune* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *communi* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *solit* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *phone* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *soundrec* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *camera* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *maps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Got this tip from: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3f6gsl/remove_default_apps_from_fresh_windows_10_install/

duanelr

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm looking to install OneNote 2013 on Win 10, (Surface Pro3). Is this possible? The included OneNote app doesn't seem to measure up to 2013.