What's new

On buying the Surface 2

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The worst thing Ms could do is enter the app market. It creates a demand for habit. Look at the blackberry. About 1/3 of the apps in their store is from 1 dev, which can be traced back to RIM.

Well, this is a classic case of MS being caught between a roc and a hard place. They desperately need some fundamental productivity apps. But getting those depends on third party developers, who will not enter the Windows App Store until they see the potential for a return, which results in the store being sparsely populated, which puts off users etc. etc. etc.

At this rate, perhaps MS should have just worked on the Pro and worked to integrate their Phone App store with Win 8. I believe MS has something like this in the works involving RT also, but that leads a more troubling question - will future Surface RT machines be Win 8 Phone OS driven or will future Windows Phones be RT driven. I hope it is the latter.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From my understanding the last few Top Tier 3rd Party Apps that are missing (Flipbook, Facebook and Pandora) are coming shortly after the 8.1 launch (maybe day of). Android and iOS had far fewer Apps 12 months in their life cycle, There are over 100,000 Apps already in the App Store, critics complain at the quality of some but give a pass for the same level of cr@p that are in the other Stores.

Every Store has way too many Flashlight Apps ;)

From my understanding the last few Top Tier 3rd Party Apps that are missing (Flipbook, Facebook and Pandora) are coming shortly after the 8.1 launch (maybe day of). Android and iOS had far fewer Apps 12 months in their life cycle, There are over 100,000 Apps already in the App Store, critics complain at the quality of some but give a pass for the same level of cr@p that are in the other Stores.

Every Store has way too many Flashlight Apps ;)
There's a reason for giving other app stores (iTunes and Google Play) a pass. If those other stores have 500,000 apps and the percentage of quality apps is the same, that means 5 times more apps available for those users than Win8. That means for example, if the Win8 store has 2 quality scientific calculator apps then the others have 10. That is a huge difference. Because I only need one. Because it is not just the ratio of quality apps vs. total apps, it is also the level of quality of the particular apps. So even in the scientific calculator example, those 2 Win8 store apps will most likely be of a lower quality than those quality apps in those other apps stores. It's a double-whammy.

It has been quite frustrating looking for comparable Win8 apps for the iOS apps that I rely on. I knew going in that expecting the same app from the same developer was unrealistic, but I was willing to settle for comparable functionality. There are still too many holes. I've had to settle on "placeholder" apps that fall short of the functionality that I need but are (relative to the others) the "best". This results in an overall irritating experience that usually sends me back to the iPad rather than trudge through the apps on the RT.

Well, this is a classic case of MS being caught between a roc and a hard place. They desperately need some fundamental productivity apps. But getting those depends on third party developers, who will not enter the Windows App Store until they see the potential for a return, which results in the store being sparsely populated, which puts off users etc. etc. etc.

At this rate, perhaps MS should have just worked on the Pro and worked to integrate their Phone App store with Win 8. I believe MS has something like this in the works involving RT also, but that leads a more troubling question - will future Surface RT machines be Win 8 Phone OS driven or will future Windows Phones be RT driven. I hope it is the latter.
In the past, Microsoft has paid 3rd party developers to port their apps over to an MS OS platform. In the past, Microsoft was not very wise in setting up those contracts. That results in poor translations that reflected bad on the OS not the app. Microsoft could be smarter this time around and set up intelligent contracts outlining what they expect on a translation/port.

If Microsoft pays the 3rd party developer enough to cover their translation/port expenses, then the developer isn't concerned about the customer base for the Win8 app store... they've already been paid, anything that comes in would be gravy. (Microsoft could even establish a percentage royalty on the sales to recoup some of the upfront cost).

demandarin

I have an iPad from the first generation since it first released. I don't care how many apps it has, the OS sucks. Yes they do have alto of great games and apps, but the OS as a whole is far too crippled. Do you know when iPad first released, I use to be able to use adapter to plug up isb drive or keyboard and it worked? Then once apple heard about people using all these different devices with iPad,they sent out an update to kill it! The update nerfed the power output from the connector and only allowed apple only devices with specific power needs. From that point on was when I started seeing apple true colors. I did love the iPad but then I ended up jailbreaking it and such just to give it similar abilities to android. Even then I was limited by the amount of ram. Once I went to android tablets, I never looked back. Ios is for people who don't know how to operate a real OS or too lazy to learn. It really is an oversized iPhone. Surface RT in its current state and generation is a far more capable device.

My iPad is only good for my 3yr. Old daughter now. As she loves the educational apps and youtube. Aside from that, I'll never get another iPad again unless its for her. I was there since the beginning for apple tablet. The OS is too simple and boring.

I even got a new iPhone as a work phone. My personal phone is a LG optimus G pro. The iPhone sucks and can't how anyone can use a screen so small compared to my lg 5.5in. 1080p full hd display. Plus the os and UI is dumbed down. Those are great for those who don't how to operate computers or real technology. Lol I can't stand it.

bulls96

main things that make me consider Surface 2 is:
1. Higher resolution screen
2. 2 stage kickstand
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

EMINENT

I am seriously considering selling my Surface Pro for a Surface 2.

The reasons being, I got the Pro to replace my desktop but never got around to selling it so I decided to keep it.
Pro has been great and a lot of fun for testing things that i'd normally like to do on my pc. Remote desktop and Splashtop 2 will get me anything I need from my pc at home when I'm away. With the improvements made, I think I can get by without the pro. It'll be extra handy having double the battery life and being lighter and thinner. I don't ever use the stylus. The cost difference with Type Cover 2 would come out to be a wash. Plus, i'll have that awesome new kickstand!

Hopefully Pro 3 will have the profile and weight down minus the fan next year with Broadwell along with a built in stylus. If so, I will go back to Pro.

Last edited:

oion

I am seriously considering selling my Surface Pro for a Surface 2.

The reasons being, I got the Pro to replace my desktop but never got around to selling it so I decided to keep it.
Pro has been great and a lot of fun for testing things that i'd normally like to do on my pc. Remote desktop and Splashtop 2 will get me anything I need from my pc at home when I'm away. With the improvements made, I think I can get by without the pro. It'll be extra handy having double the battery life and being lighter and thinner. I don't ever use the stylus. The cost difference with Type Cover 2 would come out to be a wash. Plus, i'll have that awesome new kickstand!

Hopefully Pro 3 will have the profile and weight down minus the fan next year with Broadwell along with a built in stylus. If so, I will go back to Pro.

Well, that's an interesting direction to go. :)

One thing about the stylus. There have certainly been complaints about the stylus not having its own silo, but that would likely require a much thinner and less comfortable stylus in order to save as much space as possible, since we're talking about miniaturization engineering and every bit of space counts. While the magnetic connection is unique but prone to being knocked off if you shove the Pro into a bag, I think it makes sense not to have a body silo for the stylus for that singular reason. Getting a sleeve with a pocket, or another case with a loop, or just clipping to something (because it has an actual clip)--better solutions without compromising the tight body engineering specs.

demandarin

Has Surface2 released already? I've seen people on redditt posting pictures that they received theirs already.

Btw, I'm loving the 8.1 update on pro and RT.

oion

Has Surface2 released already? I've seen people on redditt posting pictures that they received theirs already.

Btw, I'm loving the 8.1 update on pro and RT.

CRAZY TALK. (I found an OP comment upon scrolling down, "I think its a store mistake. Its only Argos.")

Reddit thread: I am amused by the comments of some people buying a Surface 2 "to complement" their Surface PRO. And the OP has three Surfaces.

That seems to defeat the whole purpose of a consolidating, unified device in Microsoft's grand scheme. :p But at the same time good for them. Heh.

Robert1969

Hello users I AGREE with OION ALL THE WAY. I have one of the first RT'S and I DON'T need to upgrade. because I am now running 8.1 and I have free outlook thanks to win 8.1

If I WERE TO UPGRADE IT WILL BE TO SURFACE PRO!!

ENOUGHT SAID