What's new

Nvidia drivers

gman713

I haven't set up my SB2 yet but wondering if I need to wait for MS to update the graphics drivers (usually 2-3 times during the life of the device) or can I use the GForce experience app?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@gman713,

I have a SB2 1TB, and the GeForce Acceleration Sensor app works perfectly:

acceleration_sensor.JPG

Driver_1.JPG

Driver_2.JPG

Driver_3.JPG

OP
G

gman713

I'm not familiar with that app. I usually download the nvidia geforce experience app that automatically downloads the latest drivers for the 1060 graphics card. I was just wondering if I can still let Nvidia update the card or do I have to rely on Microsoft to update it?

Also, do the Mixed Reality headsets rely on 620 intel or will it use the 1060 graphics when the cables are connected through the USB-C port?

Seneleron

Yea, it's not an OEM butchered GPU like last gen, you can download drivers straight from Nvidia and install.

Best decision MS ever made regarding the GPU :)

OP
G

gman713

Okay, sweet! I still haven't opened my SB2 because I'm waiting for my screen protector to arrive. I actually got another one from Skinomi which has the skins and wet apply screen protector but I am nervous about applying it.

Regarding Mixed Reality, I think I read somewhere that the system was defaulting to the integrated graphics and not discrete. I bought a usb c adapter that has HDMI, usb 3 and usb c, and hope it will work through that one port. I like the fact only 2 cables connect versus the way Oculus is set up. I think you need at least 4 available usb 3 ports for the Rift and have multiple sensors on my desk.

gman713- Shame on you. How can you NOT open the SB now that you have it. lol. I would've at least taken it out, ran all updates and made sure the unit free from defects. :)

chekhonte

I've never heard of a reason not to keep your drivers updated. Well outside of the rare bugged driver but I've never actually experienced that.

This will be my first (real) mobile graphics card though.

OP
G

gman713

gman713- Shame on you. How can you NOT open the SB now that you have it. lol. I would've at least taken it out, ran all updates and made sure the unit free from defects. :)

Actually I just opened it yesterday. I was waiting for the 15" non wet screen protector to arrive. I applied that and my Skinomi skins without even turning on the system. Lucky for me everything looks great! The only issue I had was getting the Fall Creator update to install. I had to download the Windows Assistant app to get it installed. I really love the screen. I'm thinking about doing the Adobe 3 month trial and do some photo editing just for fun.

chekhonte

Actually I just opened it yesterday. I was waiting for the 15" non wet screen protector to arrive. I applied that and my Skinomi skins without even turning on the system. Lucky for me everything looks great! The only issue I had was getting the Fall Creator update to install. I had to download the Windows Assistant app to get it installed. I really love the screen. I'm thinking about doing the Adobe 3 month trial and do some photo editing just for fun.
What screen protector did you end up getting? Do screen protectors mess with pen sensitivity? I'm not sure if I'll get one now or when glass ones come out.

brosenz

I installed 2 different screen protectors to my SB2 15" and when closed, the screen protector will touch the edge of the base and will lift the screen protector a little bit, very annoying so I ended up removing it. Do you have the same problem? Thanks

brosenz

I haven't set up my SB2 yet but wondering if I need to wait for MS to update the graphics drivers (usually 2-3 times during the life of the device) or can I use the GForce experience app?
I have the same debate, should I install the new Nvidia GeForce 388.71 drivers release 2 days ago? Should I wait for the MS certified ones?