What's new

Note taking on the SP3 is like a dream, but I keep bumping the windows button!

macmee

I love the larger screen and new heavier pen, as well as the button on the back of the pen, but something VERY annoying is that as someone who's right handed, my palm keeps brushing against the windows key as I write notes in OneNote, and this is highly annoying because it obviously takes me away from OneNote.

I don't understand why Microsoft moved the Windows key. I especially don't understand why they moved it to the right side of the unit, given that most people are right handed....

I can't flip the surface over so that the button resides on the left side, because the kickstand doesn't work in that orientation.

I like the button a lot better now. They changed it because the button wouldn't be visible if they put it on the bottom due to the type cover. You have to get used to the button and your hand wont activate it as much. You can disable the button if you want too.

OP
macmee

macmee

I like the button a lot better now. They changed it because the button wouldn't be visible if they put it on the bottom due to the type cover. You have to get used to the button and your hand wont activate it as much. You can disable the button if you want too.

I could disable the button true, but I wonder if there's a way to disable it only in certain apps.

kundas1

funny but I write all the time and NEVER hit the win button, but some times just holding it I mistakenly hit the win button.. lol

Len J

I put the windows button on the top and use the SP 3 like a notepad.

Why would you need the kickstand for pen based handwriting note taken? confused.

Len

Liam2349

Like Len said, you can always use it upside-down. Sounds like you write in canvas mode though? I tend to do it in portrait.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto... when I'm taking notes I flip the SP3 so the Windows Button is at the top and I also connect the keyboard backwards so that the felt side is facing the desk and the keys are against the back of the device....

I'm a weird case in that I frequently have been taking notes with the SP3 docked, with a textbook or other reference material on my left external display, something like a MLB or NFL game on my right one or another internet window, and then taking notes on docked SP3, which is a bit weird but I've gotten used to it.

I do occasionally, annoyingly, also bump up against the Windows button as well. Even when I don't have the SP3 docked, I tend to take notes this way because I like to use the kickstand at it's most extreme angle.

How do you disable the button?

mcsenerd

I think the only way to disable the Windows button also kills the Power and Volume buttons...so kind of a bummer. I'm kinda holding out hope that MS will offer a way to toggle the button for folks that are having issues with it, but who knows if that will actually happen or not.

RobF

+1 for portrait/"upside down"

The first night I used it I was hitting the button every few seconds, it got to be rather annoying.. And then.. It dawned on me, you can flip it around.

malberttoo

+1 for portrait/"upside down"

The first night I used it I was hitting the button every few seconds, it got to be rather annoying.. And then.. It dawned on me, you can flip it around.

LOL yes, I believe Microsoft said as much, on an AMA or something... "you're doing it backwards" :D