What's new

Solved Not sure where to post this but i need help - Serial number

Ok so, my mother's computer wouldn't startup when we tried to login in on one day, so we tried a bunch of stuff like restarting it and none that worked, and before that i had another computer that had a boot problem and we needed disks for it and we finally got some, i've been trying to fix my win 10 computer(not my mothers), than i thought maybe i should try fixing my mother's computer, the problem is hers is windows 8 so i use the media creation tool for a fresh install, however i need a product key just so i can reinstall it i can activate it later, another thing is that she bought that computer which it already had windows 8 inside of it and so she had no product key in her email. So now i need some sort of product key that just allows me to get through this part so i can activate afterwards.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, your name is even more frightening than these computer problems.

But seriously, at this point, you probably need to call Microsoft, or even better, take the computer to a Microsoft Store. The people there can register Windows 10 towards your Serial Number after verifying whatever they can from the previous install (Settings, System, About). I had this happen to me on a SP2 about a year ago when trying to put Windows 8.1 on a Windows 8.0 machine with no documentation.