What's new

Solved Noisy kickstand

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, so as of tonight I've been experiencing something that has me VERY worried.

I have mentioned in other threads that my kickstand has about 1cm of give once it is at a certain angle, shake the device and the kickstand rattles up and down.

Today I slowly slowly closed the kickstand. And each time i repeat the process, at about 10 or 15 degrees or whatever it is, just as the hinge is about to give way, and it snaps closed, I heard a cracckle and pop. Upon repeating it even slower, it was a prolonged crackle and oio that sounds very much like electricity.

Not too happy.

Update: Microsoft fella on live chat said straight away that it sounds defective and to return it (clearly not actually UK based live support due to not knowing there are no MS stores in the UK). so I move city on monday to start university and the day i get there i have to post off the device i bought specifically for university, and wait untold days until it's replaced. Bummer.

-------------------------------

Solved.
The narrow silver strip along the inside of the kickstand, where it meets the tablet. It is indeed the sound of that pulling away, allowing the kickstand to bend in the middle and make horrible noises as more material starts to separate. So scratch last thought, I shall be arranging a new replacement tomorrow.
To me, analysing how it happens, it seems that it is caused by, and almost an inevitability of altering the kickstands position via the middle of the kickstand, not the edges. Pretty cheap to basically just use some glue and tape to keep the kickstand rigid.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Ok, so as of tonight I've been experiencing something that has me VERY worried.

I have mentioned in other threads that my kickstand has about 1cm of give once it is at a certain angle, shake the device and the kickstand rattles up and down.

Today I slowly slowly closed the kickstand. And each time i repeat the process, at about 10 or 15 degrees or whatever it is, just as the hinge is about to give way, and it snaps closed, I heard a cracckle and pop. Upon repeating it even slower, it was a prolonged crackle and oio that sounds very much like electricity.

Not too happy.

Update: Microsoft fella on live chat said straight away that it sounds defective and to return it (clearly not actually UK based live support due to not knowing there are no MS stores in the UK). so I move city on monday to start university and the day i get there i have to post off the device i bought specifically for university, and wait untold days until it's replaced. Bummer.

They didn't do an "advanced exchange" for you? "We'll send you a new one right now, you promise to send your old one back very soon or we'll charge you for it" kind of thing?

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive not actually organised a return yet. Might as well do it in the morning. But I don't know if advanced exchange exists in the UK (its hard enough just finding the complete warranty plan). Although I am still within the 14 day return period. I raised the initial complaint about the loose hinge and saved the conversation, that rep said that the loose hinge would probably work itself in. Instead I can now hear an audible hum of electricity running through the kickstand.

This is on battery by the way. I read a thread the other day where someone said they could physically feel a current on the back of the device, but that was when plugged in.

daniielrp

Ive not actually organised a return yet. Might as well do it in the morning. But I don't know if advanced exchange exists in the UK (its hard enough just finding the complete warranty plan). Although I am still within the 14 day return period. I raised the initial complaint about the loose hinge and saved the conversation, that rep said that the loose hinge would probably work itself in. Instead I can now hear an audible hum of electricity running through the kickstand.

This is on battery by the way. I read a thread the other day where someone said they could physically feel a current on the back of the device, but that was when plugged in.

Where was it bought from ? MS online?

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. Uk online shop. The ms live chat guy just sent me a link to the generic returns and warranty web page.

daniielrp

Ah, that complicates then. I got mine from PCWorld so at least have a place I could return it to if need be. However I have always found MS replacements to be very fast. Well apart from the last one where DPD delivered it to the wrong house...

Other than that though always good!

Liam2349

Advanced replacements and refunds are always nice - Amazon do them a lot in the UK but I don't know about Microsoft UK.

Call them on the phone and ask about an advance replacement.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is perfect timing for me. All the palava of moving house tomorrow and now this to deal with.

At least this morning I now know I'm not just creating an issue where none exists. Shut the device down last night with about 70% battery, woke up this morning, turned it on, went to change brightness and whole thing froze, looked down and noticed that the battery icon looked empty, then device shut down. Its sat plugged in and won't do a thing.

11 days for a £850 device to catastrophically fail. fills me with confidence and alas now has me a little wary of using one of these for my university course if one day I might just wake up and be ******

edit: held the power button for about 30 seconds and it eventually decided to start up. 63% battery. Dunno what's going on.

grumpy

Best bet is to return it for a refund and then repurchase new. No reason to deal MS support for a machine that is only 11 days old.

gtext

Best bet is to return it for a refund and then repurchase new. No reason to deal MS support for a machine that is only 11 days old.

That's what I think would be the best way if possible and minimize disruption if funds were available to purchase straight away. Would save waiting for the refund to apply and give a full 14 days on the new one. Not sure if you get another 14 days when MS exchange.
If funds are not available it would mean waiting for the refund before purchasing the new one.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I think would be the best way if possible and minimize disruption if funds were available to purchase straight away. Would save waiting for the refund to apply and give a full 14 days on the new one. Not sure if you get another 14 days when MS exchange.
If funds are not available it would mean waiting for the refund before purchasing the new one.

I move to london in the morning to become a full time university student. Needless to say funds are definitely not available :D I think wednesday is day 14 for me, so will take a day to settle into my new house before moving forward with this.

daniielrp

I move to london in the morning to become a full time university student. Needless to say funds are definitely not available :D I think wednesday is day 14 for me, so will take a day to settle into my new house before moving forward with this.

Wouldn't this mean funds definitely are available, student loans and all that :p