What's new

no wireless or audio devices after recovery

reverendalc

i have a two month old SP4, and i just did a full recovery:

download SP4 recovery image from microsoft
place on USB, boot from USB
recover from USB media

the process went well, but now my sp4 has no wifi or audio. the task bar says "no networks available" and "no audio output devices" and upon closer inspection (in device manager) there are no network adapters or sound controllers listed.

i've restarted countless times, and even recovered twice more (once from recovery USB, and another from generic win10pro media) to no avail.

i have installed the surface pro 4 driver package from microsoft, as well as tried to manually install the drivers, but we all know what happens when you install software for hardware that "doesn't exist."

i'm currently blasting through windows updates hoping to recover sound and wifi. i've got an edimax wireless N dongle plugged in currently, but would love to get this back to new condition and function.

has anybody encountered (and found a resolution) for this?

OP
R

reverendalc

yessir, enabled!

when i did the windows 10 install from an OEM install media (NOT the surface pro media), i briefly had a long list of hardware without drivers, but they've since disappeared never to return.

also, i've noticed that when the desktop appears, a window of some sort appears for a split second before disappearing, and that's immediately before the task bar loads

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Under Device Manager click under Action and Show Hidden Devices, are they shown there?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've not seen this on the SP4 but there was an issue on the SP3 where the WLAN SoC would suspend and disappear and wouldn't come back...

OP
R

reverendalc

yes, during many intense hours of googling, i came across tales of that problem. not one of them included dropping audio as well, so i disregarded them mostly, aside from skimming the "fixes"

the holiday weekend is over, i suppose i'll make it in to the MS store with my tail between my legs

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@reverendalc ,

Sorry you are having this problem. Do you own, or know someone whom owns a Surface Dock? By connecting the Dock, your devices may come back. This is how I solved this Surface Pro 3 issue for a friend about a year ago.

OP
R

reverendalc

i only have one friend with a surface, and it's an older non pro. i don't believe he uses a dock, but if he does, would it be compatible with mine?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The "Surface Dock" is compatible, but not previous docks, which were more of an easel snap-on type.