What's new

No chance for Gaming

Domoc

Hey Guys,
I´ve red many times that it´s possible to play Games on a Surface Pro 4.
Now, after I bought a Pro 4 I7 16gb I am pretty disappointed in how it run games.
I tried League of Legends and Cities Skylines and non of them are running without problems. Even if all settings are on minimum I can´t play.
The moment I start the game the cooling is running like crazy and it´s heating up.
Is it normal on a Pro4 or could mine be broken?

Thanks guys and sorry for my bad english.

Domoc my friend:

Cities is too advanced, don't bother with that really. It should be able to handle League of Legends quite well on low setting (stable 45-60 fps). The cooling should be running like crazy. Honestly if you wanted a mobile gaming system, you bought the wrong product, however. May I recommend you sell it and get a laptop with a dGPU like the new gtx 1060 or 1080 Nvidia cards?

The surface line will never be about gaming, and Microsoft is about getting things done, including creation, but they leave the gaming systems to other brands and products.

You can also build a serious desktop for gaming for about 400 USD from parts, just start with a case, motherboard, power supply, processor, and GPU. It is quite easy, however, parts can be hard to find depending on your location.

Best of luck with the product.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's pretty much a case of the old meme "will it play crysis?"

The sp4 is great for gaming, I've taken mine to Lan parties without issue. The key is playing games!es the hardware is capable of running. It is only a tablet at the end of the day, there is a reason it does not have a dedicated GPU

Philtastic

The key thing that you MUST do when playing any game on the SP4 is to lower the resolution from what is basically twice as demanding as 1080p (2736x1824) and go to 1080p (1920x1080) or 720p (1280x720). When you do that, games like LoL should be quite playable.

Personally, I've played Diablo 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2, Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Dragon's Dogma, Civilizations V, Marvel Heroes, and Left 4 Dead on my SP4 to name a few.

mva5580

It's not a gaming device....it just isn't. If you want to play any kind of recent games you better REALLY lower your expectations for how well it's going to run. If at all.

It's one of multiple reasons I just find the Surface line of devices to be crazy overpriced, you're just not getting great specs for what you're getting. And I am NOT saying I expect these things to be great gaming machines. I'm not. But consider how much Surface devices cost and what they're capable of. Just not worth what you're paying in my opinion.

MickeyLittle

It's not a gaming device....it just isn't. If you want to play any kind of recent games you better REALLY lower your expectations for how well it's going to run. If at all.

It's one of multiple reasons I just find the Surface line of devices to be crazy overpriced, you're just not getting great specs for what you're getting. And I am NOT saying I expect these things to be great gaming machines. I'm not. But consider how much Surface devices cost and what they're capable of. Just not worth what you're paying in my opinion.

What did this have to do with the gaming thread? Sorry you don't feel that Surface devices are worth the coin but most of us here would disagree with you and at this point I've owned 5 of them so far. Are they pricy, you bet but they are solid as a rock in my opinion.

I currently own the Surface Book and it has been the best computer/computing device I've ever owned. I don't ever remember them being advertised as gaming machines period.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

I feel like it is a great product for the money. Wouldn't have bought 3 (as a student) if I felt otherwise.

Philtastic

So, name a tablet that can run full versions of Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, 3D modeling software, do video editing and rendering, has a stylus for notes and art, and has at least a Core i-series CPU that doesn't cost close to $850 USD (the lowest priced SP4 Core i5).

convergent

So, name a tablet that can run full versions of Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office, 3D modeling software, do video editing and rendering, has a stylus for notes and art, and has at least a Core i-series CPU that doesn't cost close to $850 USD (the lowest priced SP4 Core i5).
Exactly!