What's new

Solved New Surface user, terrible 5GHz

eliosfederico

Hi everyone.
It's three days that I have a Surface Pro 3 i3. When I got it there was windows 8.1 installed and I immediately upgraded it to W10! I immediately also noticed problems with the WiFi (both on 8.1 and 10) on the 5Gz band. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000. It connects without problems and if I see the connection details it shows 850Mbps but if I do a speedtest the speed it's slower than 1Mbps and sometimes so slow that for just open Google takes ages. If I disable 5GHz and go only 2.4 I have 144Mbit in the details and 55Mbps in the speedtest (on my iPhone 6+ I get 200Mbit from the speedtest). I tried to change any possible WiFi settings in the Router without effects. I also played with the drivers on my Surface, but nothing.

Anyone that has a tip for me?
Thanks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
First step is to make sure that you have all updates and firmware installed via windows update. There was a well known issue with 5ghz when first released, but that seems to have been fixed many many months ago given that this is the first time i'm reading about it in before i remember :)

manone77

Hi same for me :-(
lot no date 15/31
Came with windows 10 pro(and i have make all update) ,
on 2,4 ghz mode all is ok for me ,but auto or 5 ghz only 2-4 mbits down upload is better...
fritzbox 7490
Hope microsoft can fix this??

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has been some discussion recently about a driver issue and that perhaps was introduced after the May or 'spring time' driver IIRC. look for recent posts in the WiFi issues thread.

Edit: Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here | Page 17 | Microsoft Surface Forums
Driver dated 3/24/2015 is supposedly good.
IDK where you get it if it's not in your previously installed list. obviously another new one will come...

Last edited:
OP
E

eliosfederico

ScottyS

I have a Netgear AC1450 Smart WiFi Router and for a time a while back it would often not connect to the 5GHz signal, but would connect to the 2.4 GHz signal or to a signal from a Netgear extender I have upstairs. But a while back it started connecting to the 5G every time, don't know if that was from Win10 upgrade (I also was using Win10 technical preview too) but my Marvell AVASTAR driver is ver. 15.68.3091.193 dated 6/4/2015.

No problem with 5 GHZ here with latest drivers getting all of my 300/20 internet speed:
4658513243.png

Untitled.png

OP
E

eliosfederico

Here with some updates: I found online the drivers from March, and as soon I installed it, full speed! Of course Windows Update asked me to update because it detected that I had an old driver. I did the update and indeed I got the 6/4/2015 back but still at full speed! I put my Surface to sleep and did other things. After a couple of hours, here again: full Upload troughput but 0Mbit on download. I reinstalled the old drivers and now it works fine. Still don't know what could be the problem...
For anyone that has problems, I uploaded the March drivers. Direct link to ZIP file removed per forum guidelines.

Forgot to include that I'm always using the latest version 15.68.3091.193 on 6/4/15 and I never had WiFi problems with this version or any other version.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes one wonder at the cause of these random issues. Probably the same cause as other problems inherent in Windows, the Registry, the great random corruptor. Reset, Refresh, Reinstall what's changing when we do that. Take the same software and reinstall it on the same hardware and you get completely different results. it's redefining insanity... voodoo. I think this is a fixable problem but it will take a different approach.

Hardware detection/misdetection may be contributing to issues. i.e. The hardware didn't change but the detection did leading to another reinstallation increasing the chances of random issues. In the case of a Surface it should just skip it completely... The unit ID's as a Surface X, DONE, we know what's in it and it.