What's new

New Surface Pro dead, bricked any help please.

claypt

Hey all,

I’ve had my surface pro for less than a week new from shop, and now appears to be dead or bricked. Straight after 8.1 update also.

When I first got it I fitted power and tried to start, it didn’t, left it for an hour or so and it finally started.
Then later after charging it, it failed to start a couple of times, required various presses to the power button.
After that it had been working fine then completed the updates, 900mb worth, about 80 in total. All was still O.K. Except gopo studio 2 stopped working. I then installed windows 8.1, gopro studio 2 was working again, great all was good. Pressed power button to send to sleep. 2 hours later tried to power up, nothing at all.
I had the charger on it during the up dates and the white LED was on so presume power / battery was o.k.
I have tried all button options to start up, volume and power 15 seconds, pressing power button 30 seconds etc. etc. All no good.
I have had it on charge over night when I checked it this morn the white LED was off pressed the power button white LED came on but surface was still dead.
Only thing left to try now is to leave it till battery goes flat, then repower up?

Could it be that even though the white LED charge light is on it is not charging?
I have also be using the touch keyboard on and off with no difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Clayton.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try holding the Power Button Down for 30 seconds (do this only if the Keyboard Lights Up or the Windows Button on the Bezel Vibrates) then hold the Volume Rocker Down and then hit Power Button, hopefully you'll see the Surface Splash Screen.

OP
C

claypt

Try holding the Power Button Down for 30 seconds (do this only if the Keyboard Lights Up or the Windows Button on the Bezel Vibrates) then hold the Volume Rocker Down and then hit Power Button, hopefully you'll see the Surface Splash Screen.

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly that didn't work.
I have tried a friends charger also no good.
One thing I noticed is it isn't getting warm from being on the charger at all....
Not sure, I see a trip to service coming up...

LikeMinds

Hey all,

I’ve had my surface pro for less than a week new from shop, and now appears to be dead or bricked. Straight after 8.1 update also.

When I first got it I fitted power and tried to start, it didn’t, left it for an hour or so and it finally started.
Then later after charging it, it failed to start a couple of times, required various presses to the power button.
After that it had been working fine then completed the updates, 900mb worth, about 80 in total. All was still O.K. Except gopo studio 2 stopped working. I then installed windows 8.1, gopro studio 2 was working again, great all was good. Pressed power button to send to sleep. 2 hours later tried to power up, nothing at all.
I had the charger on it during the up dates and the white LED was on so presume power / battery was o.k.
I have tried all button options to start up, volume and power 15 seconds, pressing power button 30 seconds etc. etc. All no good.
I have had it on charge over night when I checked it this morn the white LED was off pressed the power button white LED came on but surface was still dead.
Only thing left to try now is to leave it till battery goes flat, then repower up?

Could it be that even though the white LED charge light is on it is not charging?
I have also be using the touch keyboard on and off with no difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers Clayton.
My Pro 3 wouldn't start after updating this morning. Probably updated at least a dozen times previously with no problems. I tried the usual hold down the power button for 30 seconds... no banana. Then I tried holding down the power button and the volume up button for 30 seconds. Again no banana. Called Surface support. Had to repeat this routine for them... again no banana. Then they suggested this sequence... hold down the power button for 45 seconds- release, press, release, press... and it booted. New sequence to me... but it worked so I'm passing it along.

- Steveka

drolem

There are several somewhat independent subsystems in the SPro, one for each type of firmware: EC (charging & battery) SAM (sensors and power button), UEFI (the actual x64 PC).

When the unit doesn't power on it's usually because of the SAM, and all you need t0 do is reset it with PWR + VOL, but occasionally the reason can be a bit more esoteric -- the USB bus can get into a weird state, for example. The white light means that the EC is working.

Check the following:
a) hold the bottom left corner with one hand and touch the home button with the other, and see if you feel any vibration
b) there are 6 pins for the touch/type cover -- measure the voltage between the 1st and 6th pin, and post here what you get