What's new

New Surface Pro 4 user got some questions and concerns

DarkTides

Hey, I'm new to this forum and I am recent adopter of Surface Pro 4. I love the Surface in terms of technical specifications and I am glad it can run games exceedingly well over my MacBook Pro Retina 13 Inch. I have ran into some software/firmware issues though, which somewhat irk me.

I know it's notorious of the battery drain of the Surface Pro 4 while in "sleep mode". I have done some research and found the solution of turning of Windows Hello!, which proved to reduce the rapid battery drain in sleep mode, but I still encountering problems with battery drain. The battery seems to steadily drain throughout the day from 100% to 75% in the course of 4 hours or so, I don't think this is normally especially in sleep mode.

What can I do to fix this? I have heard there is a firmware update incoming from Microsoft in the new year to remedy these battery drain issues, but is there a slated release of this firmware? I fly a lot and stay in hotels, so having something that is ultra portable is quite important, just the magical battery drain issue is problematic especially if I want to use it and somehow it has drained down to a very minimal level, where I can barely use it.

I am willing to hold out for a bit to see if Microsoft delivers a fix for this issue. Otherwise I love the Surface Pro 4 and I cannot wait until they fix this issue.

As for my question, is there anyone that has had any luck with any cases or carry cases that protect the back of the surface when they are carrying it around. I'm just looking for something that will protect the back portion from scratches and such.

Thanks for the help!

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey, I'm new to this forum and I am recent adopter of Surface Pro 4. I love the Surface in terms of technical specifications and I am glad it can run games exceedingly well over my MacBook Pro Retina 13 Inch. I have ran into some software/firmware issues though, which somewhat irk me.

I know it's notorious of the battery drain of the Surface Pro 4 while in "sleep mode". I have done some research and found the solution of turning of Windows Hello!, which proved to reduce the rapid battery drain in sleep mode, but I still encountering problems with battery drain. The battery seems to steadily drain throughout the day from 100% to 75% in the course of 4 hours or so, I don't think this is normally especially in sleep mode.

What can I do to fix this? I have heard there is a firmware update incoming from Microsoft in the new year to remedy these battery drain issues, but is there a slated release of this firmware? I fly a lot and stay in hotels, so having something that is ultra portable is quite important, just the magical battery drain issue is problematic especially if I want to use it and somehow it has drained down to a very minimal level, where I can barely use it.

I am willing to hold out for a bit to see if Microsoft delivers a fix for this issue. Otherwise I love the Surface Pro 4 and I cannot wait until they fix this issue.

As for my question, is there anyone that has had any luck with any cases or carry cases that protect the back of the surface when they are carrying it around. I'm just looking for something that will protect the back portion from scratches and such.

Thanks for the help!

I'm new to the SP4 as well. Just both mine this past weekend. Since I've reloaded and that took care of all my issues. However, most don't have a copy of Windows 10 laying around - I got a bootlegged copy and entered my original Windows Pro 10 key - once completed I headed over tohttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498 and reinstalled the SP4 drivers and now my machine is running superbly without issues.

With regards to the power issue, have you held down the power button for 10+ seconds and completely shut off the machine? It seems that if you use Windows power down options, it only hibernates or goes into stand-by.

OP
D

DarkTides

I'm new to the SP4 as well. Just both mine this past weekend. Since I've reloaded and that took care of all my issues. However, most don't have a copy of Windows 10 laying around - I got a bootlegged copy and entered my original Windows Pro 10 key - once completed I headed over tohttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498 and reinstalled the SP4 drivers and now my machine is running superbly without issues.

With regards to the power issue, have you held down the power button for 10+ seconds and completely shut off the machine? It seems that if you use Windows power down options, it only hibernates or goes into stand-by.

So reformatting and installing everything manually helped out with overall reliability of the Surface? Is it noticeable?

Philtastic

Have you manually ensured that your SP4 is completely updated? You can do this by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update. A firmware update was release about a month ago that fixed the battery drain during sleep.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
So reformatting and installing everything manually helped out with overall reliability of the Surface? Is it noticeable?

Once I got my SP4 home and unboxed - I did the usual updates - and things went really downhill from there. For instance the SURFACE program that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the PEN / Screen would open up to the SPLASH screen and then disappear - same with clicking the top of the PEN. Note would open up to the SPASH screen and then completely crash. I reloaded Windows 10 using a USB stick from within Windows and then upon completion, my DEVICE MANAGER was full of errors. I then headed over to Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and downloaded the .MSI file (app 150mbs) and installed. BAM!!! My SP4 was running superbly. Don't forget to delete the WINDOWS.OLD file to free up about 40GBs of hard drive space. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. - Mike

OP
D

DarkTides

Have you manually ensured that your SP4 is completely updated? You can do this by going to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update. A firmware update was release about a month ago that fixed the battery drain during sleep.

I have checked in that area and I'm fully updated. I am going to try a clean install, currently downloading Windows 10 with the utility program.

OP
D

DarkTides

Once I got my SP4 home and unboxed - I did the usual updates - and things went really downhill from there. For instance the SURFACE program that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the PEN / Screen would open up to the SPLASH screen and then disappear - same with clicking the top of the PEN. Note would open up to the SPASH screen and then completely crash. I reloaded Windows 10 using a USB stick from within Windows and then upon completion, my DEVICE MANAGER was full of errors. I then headed over to Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center and downloaded the .MSI file (app 150mbs) and installed. BAM!!! My SP4 was running superbly. Don't forget to delete the WINDOWS.OLD file to free up about 40GBs of hard drive space. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. - Mike

Other then the battery issues there has been some slight troubles here and there such as display driver stop working and such. I am hoping maybe doing this reformat and installing everything manually will accomplish something. I am in the process of downloading Windows 10 right now along with the drivers.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
was
I have checked in that area and I'm fully updated. I am going to try a clean install, currently downloading Windows 10 with the utility program.

Sounds like you know what your doing. I use RUFUS to create a Windows boot drive via USB and off I go. If you need a program to "take ownership" of the windows.old file and delete it, let me know and I'll gladly pass it along. The windows.old file is 40+gbs - so ya might wanna to get rid of it.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other then the battery issues there has been some slight troubles here and there such as display driver stop working and such. I am hoping maybe doing this reformat and installing everything manually will accomplish something. I am in the process of downloading Windows 10 right now along with the drivers.

I am going to upload the "Inherent File Control" Program here - Essentially what you are going to is take ownership of the "windows.old" file after the OS reload - Use the advanced tab to start the process after you navigate to the "windows.old" file - Use right click etc. I know this is vague, but if you cant get it, let me know and I will send along detailed instructions. No offense intended if you know what you are doing. Feel free to scan the file - but I assure you its clean.

Direct file download link removed per forum guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator: