What's new

New Surface owners! REGISTER YOUR DEVICES

OP
O

oion

I bought my SP2 256/8 at my local MS Store.
I purchased the extended 2 year warranty at the store when I paid for my Surface.

Do you all think that I still need to register my Surface?
OR
Should I call first and inquire?

My sales girl at the MS Store never mentioned registering it.

Sales clerks never mention registering products. :) Since the days of filling out warranty postcards, it was always the responsibility of the customer to maintain that information with the manufacturer, not the vendor--moreover, the MS stores sell all sorts of Windows devices by other manufacturers.

Since you bought the extended warranty as the MS store, it must be attached to the serial of your Surface already (I'm assuming the clerk scanned the serial code and everything). It wouldn't hurt to log into your MS account, register (add) the device by plugging the serial, and check to see if the warranty information appears, since the warranty is attached to the device and not the buyer.

I just picked mine up from a local pawn shop, do I still need to register the device? Is that still possible with a hard reset?

The only way you can register a used device is if the previous owner un-registered it first or if the previous owner never registered it. You would certainly want to do a full reset, and then log into your MS account and try to attach the serial to your account; but be warned, if the device is registered to a previous owner, you can't get any remaining warranty services, if there is any. This is to prevent theft cases, I imagine.

Last edited:
OP
O

oion

The 200GB SkyDrive and free Skype comes in the packaging with a code you can redeem. I personally don't want either so I'm hoping to sell it to pay for the extended warranty. Their website complete coverage details states additional 1 year of limited warranty coverage but not how long for accidental damage coverage. And I'm a little fuzzy on the various deductibles including for accessories.

For those curious about the Microsoft Complete (Extended Service Plan + Accident Coverage), this is the description that would appear on your account, as it appears on mine since I bought the extension:

This device is covered by an Extended Service Plan with Accidental Damage Protection. No charge replacement for hardware malfunctions or accidental damage replacement with payment of deductible are available through the plan expiration date (date).

Extended Service Plan: Your device and bundled accessories are covered for hardware malfunctions through (date).
Accidental Damage Protection: Your device is protected against accidental drops, spills, and other physical damage through (date) (with payment of deductible).

So the Complete extended warranty adds a year onto the original 1 year and supercedes the original--you get 2 years total and accidental coverage applies starting at that point of purchase through the end of the second year. But the keyboard isn't technically bundled, so that's not covered (unless MS does add an actual bundle)--my keyboard's warranty ends Feb 2015. That brings up something interesting I noticed with my original RT and with my new Surface 2. The original warranty seems to be longer than a year anyway. I bought my RT in Feb 2013, but its warranty goes through May 2014; my Surface 2 was preordered 9/24 but received 10/22, and the standard warranty goes through Jan 2015. That's definitely longer than a year. Traditionally, device warranties start right at the point of purchase, so this was a pleasant surprise.

As for the deductible. I can't find the information right now, but I think it's $50 per issue, twice per year (or twice in the warranty period, not sure). And I have no idea what applies to the accessories--as far as I know, you can only get extended warranty on the Surface itself anyway. MS' website is giving me problems again, huzzah.

Last edited:

ALLCAPS

Many thanks. I never would have remembered to do this. Also didn't know about the service plan. For 150 it seems like a great deal. Just not having to worry about dropping the thing is worth it. Even with a deductible.

OP
O

oion

Many thanks. I never would have remembered to do this. Also didn't know about the service plan. For 150 it seems like a great deal. Just not having to worry about dropping the thing is worth it. Even with a deductible.

Thanks for verifying that the Microsoft Complete option for Pro owners is $150; Surface RT/2 line is $100, same as before. Last year, Pro owners had a brief opportunity to get Complete for $100 as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Still, 2 years plus the accidental I think is worth it, otherwise people can shell out for the Best Buy or SquareTrade things. If they want.

Ariel

Thank you for this information, considering that the SP2 is very expensive and very mobile I was beginning to stress the fact that I had not purchased Best Buy's Extended Warranty.

Hell I wasn't even sure I was going to keep it, then the 15 days passed by in a flash and I was like crap...I love this thing...and Id likely cry if I dropped it and broke it. Honestly, this is a great price for the extended Warranty and a 50 dollar deductible is great considering the cost of the device. Thank you again Oion.