What's new

New SP4 firmware out

dajogejr

Mine took two batches to update. My biggest gripe is not power management, although I understand it could be better.
My complaint...is without the type cover on, I use Fire Fox. It'll lock for no rhyme or reason.

I've always understood it to be a graphics driver issue. I could hard reset or connect the cover and go from there.
If this is fixed, I'll be ecstatic. Very annoying!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine took two batches to update. My biggest gripe is not power management, although I understand it could be better.
My complaint...is without the type cover on, I use Fire Fox. It'll lock for no rhyme or reason.

I've always understood it to be a graphics driver issue. I could hard reset or connect the cover and go from there.
If this is fixed, I'll be ecstatic. Very annoying!
I believe what you're talking about is the Touchscreen not responding (stops working) and for use as a tablet is fatal.

bonzer2u

Hmmmmm,

after 12/17 update, check your max cpu multiplier........

It appears that MS might be throttling cpu-max after latest UEFI update?

My SP4-M3 multiplier max now locked at 20, aka 2.0Ghz

Was at 22, aka 2.2Ghz prior. I used CPUz ver 1.75 and built in stress test to verify, plugged in of course.

How bout U?

I assume this is to increase batt run-time...... DOH!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct.
But it only happens when using FireFox. Office products, IE, Opera...and even Chrome, it does not happen.
I have seen this problem on anything, even after a Full Reset with no additional applications installed using only OOB Windows software and I generally don't have Fire Fox installed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I put my SP4 to bed last night at 9PM with 45% Battery at 6AM when I powered up at the office it was 44% :) very happy...

Jason Nord

Okay, the 2/17/2016 firmware is out. Fingers crossed that it fixes something.

Was fail for me on fixing the sleep issue when connect to the new dock. Lock the computer and when I come back I can not get it to wake up. It has to boot for it to work again. I have had everything set to do nothing when pluged in but it will go to sleep less then 5.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I closed the Type Cover on my SP4 and went back to it an hour later. The back was warm to the touch and battery life went from 100% to 94%. Clearly, it didn't go to sleep, which isn't terribly encouraging.

dajogejr

Still have the Firefox video issue, don't know about the dead touch issue.
I'll open Firefox, half of it will be "whited out" and not refreshed.
If I shrink the window (not minimize) then maximize, it's all refreshed.

I'll take that over non-responsive touch. I'll be able to tell in the next 24 hours if it's fixed for me.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Okay, so, I'm not yet very well-versed on the battery report. Specifically, I'm not sure what it means that my SP4 goes back and forth between Connected Standby and Active. Doing the same things today after the update that it was doing previously.

Anybody know where to get more info on how to interpret the results?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen this problem on anything, even after a Full Reset with no additional applications installed using only OOB Windows software and I generally don't have Fire Fox installed.

I experienced this a couple of times today. Across the whole system. Couldn't swipe in, couldn't click on action centre, frequent freezing in onenote. Did the updates before i left uni so will be interesting to see if anything has changed tomorrow.