What's new

New Intel HD Driver

olimjj

Shortly after you install the Intel drivers, Windows Update will tell you that you have a new system hardware update. If you install the new update you will reinstall the MS driver. When the regular new updates come they will also reinstall the MS drivers and force you to have to reinstall the Intel ones.

If you do Windows Update in desktop mode from Control Panel or IE, when you get that update that will reapply the Microsoft driver, right click on it and choose "Hide update"

FYI, this driver works for my Dell UP3214Q @ 60Hz. Finally proper UHD MST support!

(Previously the SP3 would recognize the display as two separate screens at half res in DP1.2 mode or the full display at half refresh using DP1.1 mode.)

Spitnik

FYI, this driver works for my Dell UP3214Q @ 60Hz. Finally proper UHD MST support!

(Previously the SP3 would recognize the display as two separate screens at half res in DP1.2 mode or the full display at half refresh using DP1.1 mode.)

So, nuances of MST aside, are you saying that this driver allows the SP3 to drive 4k at 60Hz? Is it likely to work similarly (i.e., at 60Hz) for other 4k monitors (noting that even Microsoft says the SP3 can drive a 4k monitor at only 30Hz)??

So, nuances of MST aside, are you saying that this driver allows the SP3 to drive 4k at 60Hz? Is it likely to work similarly (i.e., at 60Hz) for other 4k monitors (noting that even Microsoft says the SP3 can drive a 4k monitor at only 30Hz)??

Yes, works great for 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

But I doubt SST monitors would work. Unfortunately the DDI interface on the i5-4300U in the SP3 maxes out at 3200 x 2000 @ 60 Hz per display. From a hardware perspective, in MST mode, the UHD display is treated as two 1920x2160 displays, which each fall under this bandwidth maximum. So, with MST, you eat up two of your three displays, but at least you can drive it. SST will likely be stuck at 30Hz (or maybe a custom refresh around 46Hz...) due to the bandwidth limitation.

ctitanic

Shortly after you install the Intel drivers, Windows Update will tell you that you have a new system hardware update. If you install the new update you will reinstall the MS driver. When the regular new updates come they will also reinstall the MS drivers and force you to have to reinstall the Intel ones.
Too much troubles!

bluegrass

If you don't care for the new driver, it sounds like this is an easy way to put it back to the Microsoft approved driver.