What's new

New Boot Problem

Daniel Peleg

Hey guys,

I've owned my SP3 i7 256gb for over a month now, and just last week it started to do something odd:
When the computer is fully off, and I press the power button to turn it on, the 'Surface' logo comes up on the middle of the black-screen, and stays there indefinitely. I waited multiple times for a few minutes, and it didn't change (and there is no spinning icon under it as usual when booting up).
I then press the power button again briefly and the computer turns off (or at least the screen does, not sure), and then two seconds later hit the power button again, and it boots up fine- 'Surface' screen with spinning icon under it stays on for 5 seconds and then i'm on my desktop as usual.
So in essence- when I'm doing a cold boot on the computer, every first attempt doesn't work, but then the second does.

Is any one else experiencing this? Any ideas?

bluegrass

I have experienced the same thing but not very often so I don't let it worry me enough to do anything about it. If you can demonstrate it to a rep at the Microsoft store, I'm sure they will have tech that can help you.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like its not fully shutting down as it should. Probably got some bits scrambled in the sauce. as much as I hate to punt you should probably Refresh.

Liam2349

Refresh will probably fix it - I haven't personally encountered any booting issues, which is a relief after the ones I routinely had with SP2.

Call Surface support if you don't want to jump to refreshing.

OP
D

Daniel Peleg

Might be worth mentioning:
I just figured out that it only happens when plugged into the dock (but this didn't happen for the first month).
When it's not on the dock, it boots up just fine.
Only things I have plugged into the dock are my monitor, and ethernet.

If I refresh, I will have to reinstall all my progs and apps, correct?.... and reconfigure everything...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Might be worth mentioning:
I just figured out that it only happens when plugged into the dock (but this didn't happen for the first month).
When it's not on the dock, it boots up just fine.
Only things I have plugged into the dock are my monitor, and ethernet.

If I refresh, I will have to reinstall all my progs and apps, correct?.... and reconfigure everything...
Yep. except a lot of settings get securely synced to your OneDrive account and Store apps are pseudo reinstalled (they get installed on first use) with an html file left on the desktop of desktop apps not reinstalled. The list wont include anything that's not in add remove programs list.

Steve S.

Hi Daniel

I have exactly the same issues with the docking station. It won't boot when it's docked in.
Did you solve the problem with the refresh?

-Steve

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve,

The Firmware from September should have corrected this issue. Do you have any external drives plugged into the dock? What happens if you remove them? If you no external drives are plugged in, I would do a reset and apply the updates.

acepro3

Hey guys,

I've owned my SP3 i7 256gb for over a month now, and just last week it started to do something odd:
When the computer is fully off, and I press the power button to turn it on, the 'Surface' logo comes up on the middle of the black-screen, and stays there indefinitely. I waited multiple times for a few minutes, and it didn't change (and there is no spinning icon under it as usual when booting up).
I then press the power button again briefly and the computer turns off (or at least the screen does, not sure), and then two seconds later hit the power button again, and it boots up fine- 'Surface' screen with spinning icon under it stays on for 5 seconds and then i'm on my desktop as usual.
So in essence- when I'm doing a cold boot on the computer, every first attempt doesn't work, but then the second does.

Is any one else experiencing this? Any ideas?
I have experienced this problem for the last 3 months for every initial boot I do in the docking station. I do exactly the same procedure that you are doing.

1. When it first occurred, online Microsoft tech support had me do a full refresh - did not fix the problem.
2. I took it to the Microsoft store - they did a full refresh, but I didn't take docking station - failed to boot in docking station when I got home.
3. I've done 4 or 5 full refreshes - turning of quick boot option (cache to file) helped for a few boot cycles but the problem is back.
4. BTW I never have a problem with a restart in the docking station.

No solid answers so far.

Grumpy2

I have had my Sp3 since Sept 19th and have never had the spinning logo under the word "Surface" at startup.
After shutting down the device when I press the power button it takes about five seconds for the word "surface" to appear and then about another ten seconds for the lock screen to appear. Do not know if this is normal or not but have never worried about it. I DO NOT GET PARANOID ABOUT MY DEVICE LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS. As long as it works that is al that matters. All mass produced products are different. No two cars are the same and that goes for all mass produced products. I just can not believe how some people worry about nothing. If your device works just use it and stop worrying. When it stops working then is the time to start worrying.
Also (and this is just my observation) but (and this applies to all forums -not just this one) but around 85% of people who post on forums do not have a clue what they are taking about. And a like percentage do not have a clue how to use their devices because they are too lazy to do research and read the user manual(s) Faq's or read the manufactures website.
I have been using windows hand held products since 1997 and the situation has not improved since then. I have had few, if any, problems with my devices because I do my research and I read up on the device. I also do not worry about little issues that do not affect the performance of the product. Honestly some of you guys need to get a "life" and stop worrying about nothing.

Steve S.

My Surface doesn't boot at all, while it's connected to the docking station.
I've unplugged every device from the DS -> doesn't help...

I think this problem appeared since the last firmware update.

As a workaround, I have to power on the device unplugged. And when the spinning icon appears, I quickly connect the PS3 to the docking station.
So in my case the problem is pretty important...