What's new

New battery life is finally starting to sync in :)

Ruffles

I only got about 3.5 hours on my SP1. While I loved it, I was paranoid about battery life. I had 3 chargers - one at work, one in the home office, and one that I took everywhere else. Battery management was ALWAYS on my mind. If I was going to sit on the couch and watch Netflix, I'd grab a charger. If I was going to take it to church for my scriptures, I'd make sure it was charged first. You get the idea.

With the SP2, I'm getting around 7 hours. Now, the battery life estimator will change depending on what I'm doing from 2.5 hours to 10+ hours but I'm not always compiling code or doing Photoshop etc. I'm starting to get a feel for how long it will last given the way I use it. I can now watch a movie at night and not charge it and know that I'll still have decent battery the next day. I can start a project in office with 50% battery and not worry about it dying. Yesterday, I left for church with it at 30% and had plenty of power for scriptures and showing a video to my Sunday school class (I'm Mormon and we have 3 hours of church too :) ).

I never worried about battery when I had an iPad. It's nice to get back to that feeling while still having a tablet capable of being more than a toy.

oion

Well, it's only fair to compare a Pro's battery life against a MacBook (Pro or Air, don't remember), in any case. An iPad isn't a real computer. :p Also, I'm sure you mean "sink in," not "sync in."

Good notes about battery life in actual usage. Since not everyone is going to be compiling code, which I think is on the higher end of resource intensity alongside gaming, others may end up seeing more even with only the likes of Photoshop.

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Well, it's only fair to compare a Pro's battery life against a MacBook (Pro or Air, don't remember), in any case. An iPad isn't a real computer. :p Also, I'm sure you mean "sink in," not "sync in."

Good notes about battery life in actual usage. Since not everyone is going to be compiling code, which I think is on the higher end of resource intensity alongside gaming, others may end up seeing more even with only the likes of Photoshop.

Right, I meant sink. lol. I'm coding right now so syncing data is on my brain.

revmike

I only got about 3.5 hours on my SP1. While I loved it, I was paranoid about battery life. I had 3 chargers - one at work, one in the home office, and one that I took everywhere else. Battery management was ALWAYS on my mind. If I was going to sit on the couch and watch Netflix, I'd grab a charger. If I was going to take it to church for my scriptures, I'd make sure it was charged first. You get the idea.

With the SP2, I'm getting around 7 hours. Now, the battery life estimator will change depending on what I'm doing from 2.5 hours to 10+ hours but I'm not always compiling code or doing Photoshop etc. I'm starting to get a feel for how long it will last given the way I use it. I can now watch a movie at night and not charge it and know that I'll still have decent battery the next day. I can start a project in office with 50% battery and not worry about it dying. Yesterday, I left for church with it at 30% and had plenty of power for scriptures and showing a video to my Sunday school class (I'm Mormon and we have 3 hours of church too :) ).

I never worried about battery when I had an iPad. It's nice to get back to that feeling while still having a tablet capable of being more than a toy.

It's good to hear that there are others who also take their Surface Pro 2 to church.

bluegrass

Every Sunday my son and I take our Surface 2's to church... :)

Any recommendations on a Bible to install. I would hope they all would allow you to be able to use my thumb & finger to zoom in on the text if I need to with my not 20-20 vision.

tech57

Any recommendations on a Bible to install. I would hope they all would allow you to be able to use my thumb & finger to zoom in on the text if I need to with my not 20-20 vision.
Try the "You Version". Search in the App Store and it will refer you to the developer's web page. I use this app on my Galaxy S4 and Nexus 10 tablet, too.

Regarding battery life, today is day 2 with my Surface Pro 2. I spent quite a few hours getting acquainted with it and setting it up yesterday. Our company uses a CRM that requires MS Explorer. The Android tablet, although excellent for my use, won't run our web based software. The Surface Pro 2 appears to be a possible replacement for my laptop and tablet so here I am. I anticipate battery to "condition" this week as it goes through several full cycles of charge to discharge. I got 5 hours of fairly heavy use from the initial charge.