What's new

Network Discovery Issue - SP4 doesn't see NAS/Printer

baq_pl

Hi All,

Is anyone experiencing LAN issues similar to mine?

1. WiFi/LAN Connection is fine, it shows that there is access to internet.
2. IP address is assigned correctly by DHCP.
3. Other computers on the network are not experiencing issues below (win 7/win10)
4. I can't connect to my NAS (no problem subnet mask, only last digit in IP is different – it was working before)
5. I can't connect to my local printer – it is working from other machines but SP4 says it’s offline

After running "troubleshooting" it says "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer", after submitting "try to resolve as administrator" the message is "not fixed", after clicking details:

"Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing."

I used following resources (and many more that I had open on different pc)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/windows-socket-registry-entries-missing-according/5f54e033-9d49-4de0-bf23-576653641b20

https://www.google.pl/search?q=Windows+Sockets+registry+entries+required+for+network+connectivity+are+missing.&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=mb6WVsS4BIv2UMmSiogP

After running this command in CMD the problem was temporarily fixed:

netsh Winsock reset

Later it stopped working and running the command again did not make any difference…

I also tried to remove winsock entries from registry and replacing them with windows 8 ones as recommended on some threads on internet but it didn't help...

Any ideas, as I'm loosing my patience

leeshor

If the subnet mask is off by one digit you might as well be on another planet. If it was the same, and you connected, then it changed you could be still connected. That's almost as bad as the 3rd octet in the primary IP or gateway being different. Why is it not the same anyway?

OP
B

baq_pl

If the subnet mask is off by one digit you might as well be on another planet. If it was the same, and you connected, then it changed you could be still connected. That's almost as bad as the 3rd octet in the primary IP or gateway being different. Why is it not the same anyway?

I meant that IP is different only in the last of four digits. All my network devices are in the 192.168.1.x address range. The mask is 255.255.0.0 as far as I know so I could be much more flexible than this. Anyway these settings are OK and they didn't change so there is something wrong on the driver/winsock/registry level...

Just trying this solution

Let me restart and we'll see if we are back in action...

EDIT: We are not !!!!

BTW, the message changed:
Check this screenshot!

Last edited:

leeshor

I still don't quite understand "last four digits" From going back to your first post if I understand it, you can see the Internet just fine but you can't access the NAS? You can also connect to a printer. That tells me something with the NAS isn't right.

What are the IP and subnet mask of the NAS?

What is the IP and subnet mask of your Surface?

What is the IP and subnet mask of the printer? (just thrown in for good measure).

OP
B

baq_pl

I still don't quite understand "last four digits" From going back to your first post if I understand it, you can see the Internet just fine but you can't access the NAS? You can also connect to a printer. That tells me something with the NAS isn't right.

What are the IP and subnet mask of the NAS?

What is the IP and subnet mask of your Surface?

What is the IP and subnet mask of the printer? (just thrown in for good measure).

Both NAS and PRINTER are inaccessible, as well as almost all network devices/resources. The only thing I can see is Router.

See two screenshots, two laptops have default DHCP assigned IP addresses:
Lenovo T450s (win7) IP: 192.168.1.103
Check this screenshot!
SP4 (win 10) IP:192.168.1.118
Check this screenshot!

If that makes you feel better :)

Router/Gateway: 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
DHCP Range: 192.168.1.101-254

I have reserved 1-99 for my appliances where I assign IP on my own

NAS: 192.168.1.66 (fixed IP)
Printer: 192.168.1.123 (DHCP assigned)

This seems little strange, when I try to PING different IP addresses locally this happens:
Check this screenshot!

leeshor

That all looks like it should work. Do you have any filters set up in the router? If you can't ping those valid addresses and weren't on WiFi I'd say you had a bad cable. Very strange. I really don't think it's a hardware problem in your Surface, but maybe a Windows configuration issue. Did all the fixes you tried actually make any changes in what you could or couldn't see?

Have you tried inputting fixed IP info in your Surface?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Another couple of things that may be blocking, Is the Network setup as a Public or Private Network? Does the NAS and Printer use older SMB 2.0 protocols? If the NAS is Linux based it is using SMB 1.1 or SMB 2.0.

OP
B

baq_pl

Guys, I've been in IT for over 10 years, I know the basics. My network is private for SP4, for other computers it's either private or work. I checked both cable and wifi connection. I reinstalled TCP/IP as some of the posts suggested, I tried to play with winsock settings in registry....
The problem I'm describing is well known, the issue is that solutions to that problem I found don't really work...

I'm trying to establish if other SP4 users have similar issues. The answer seems to be no, this isn't too good for me because I couldn't reproduce the problem on any other of my 8 PC's at home so it seems like my SP4 would need a complete reset before I try to return it...

leeshor

You claim that your specific problem is well known. Not that I have seen, especially by someone who says they've been in IT for 10 years. I've been in IT for 27 years and what you are describing is nearly impossible to attribute to the Surface hardware. If it was a hardware problem you wouldn't be able to get on the Internet.

I'm beginning to lose count of the number of SP4 users I know, many are using the SP4 on my recommendation. One company alone now has 5 of them and of all the ones I am aware of not one has had any problems other than wake-up and video driver issues and the ones I personally support aren't even having those.

I'm thinking it's time for that factory reset. It may very well work then. You have changed so many settings and tried so many fixes you may haave confused Windows. You need to get back to a baseline of a fresh system.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, I've been in IT for over 10 years, I know the basics. My network is private for SP4, for other computers it's either private or work. I checked both cable and wifi connection. I reinstalled TCP/IP as some of the posts suggested, I tried to play with winsock settings in registry....
The problem I'm describing is well known, the issue is that solutions to that problem I found don't really work...

I'm trying to establish if other SP4 users have similar issues. The answer seems to be no, this isn't too good for me because I couldn't reproduce the problem on any other of my 8 PC's at home so it seems like my SP4 would need a complete reset before I try to return it...

Not trying to be insulting, I've been in IT since the mid 90s for we've established that we have 60 years IT experience between the 3 of us. You are diagnosing the suspected culprit, the SP4 and it quite possible that one of the updates forced the network stack to the more secure SMB 3.0 while disabling older protocols.

We saw this issues especially with NAS devices when MS switched to SMB 2.0 as the default when they first went with the NT 6.0 Kernel. NAS Devices using SAMBA needed to be updated to support the new protocol. Under Windows 10 SMB 3.0 is the default and older systems don't recognize these protocols.

You can force the SP4 to use SMB 2.0 or 1.0 under the Local Security Policy or see if there is an update for your devices.

OP
B

baq_pl

Good to be in the place where I am considered a youngster :)

What I meant before is that I am capable of checking basic network settings, suggesting the SMB as a root cause is something I've been looking for !!! :) I'll verify that as soon as I'm done with my work, thanks!