What's new

Solved Need help from Dropbox experts regarding syncing...

leeshor

DropBox has set a very high bar. I have it on all my computers and all my portable devices. In fact, I have a very important file shorcut on my desktop and the file is actuually being opened directly from the local DropBox folder, (so also being saved there), so it's up-to-date no matter where I am.

foghat

One benefit of Dropbox is with easily getting links for images you wish to embed in a forum. Just go to your Dropbox folder, right click the image and it will copy the image link for easy pasting. Don't believe OneDrive offers that.

Onedrive does this as well. In fact their whole 'sharing' infrastructure is pretty slick.

Not directed at you, but on another note OneDrive also keeps a file history you can access and restore from.

Another nice thing is for Picture folders. Make a folder in your DB Photos folder and name it "Greece Vacation" and then put some picks in it and share out the link. Even as you add more photos or delete them from the folder, the link always works the same regardless. It's so nice for stuff like that.

You can do this on OneDrive as well.

I get if you have been using DropBox for awhile not wanting to switch to Onedrive, but if you are starting fresh and use windows 8.1, not sure why you wouldn't at least give Onedrive a tryout.

foghat

I think I'll use Dropbox for any files I may want to share such as music, pictures, etc. since Dropbox has that cool "Share Dropbox Link" feature and use OneDrive for backing up my business files.

** UPDATE: Relationship should be "Echo", not Contribute.

So why not just use onedrive for everything then? OneDrive can share links and folders as well. Seems odd to use 2 different products in your case.

Liam2349

Onedrive does this as well. In fact their whole 'sharing' infrastructure is pretty slick.

Not directed at you, but on another note OneDrive also keeps a file history you can access and restore from.

How do you access the OneDrive file history?

malberttoo

You can do this on OneDrive as well.

I get if you have been using DropBox for awhile not wanting to switch to Onedrive, but if you are starting fresh and use windows 8.1, not sure why you wouldn't at least give Onedrive a tryout.

Thanks for letting us know about this @foghat, I didn't know that OneDrive did version backups also.

I haven't used OneDrive a lot, mostly because like I said in my long post earlier, I find it creepy that Microsoft intentionally goes through my stuff.

If they ever change that behavior I may use them more, I definitely have WAY more space with them than I do with Dropbox!

foghat

How do you access the OneDrive file history?

The caveat being for this, and for the link sharing, you have to log into onedrive online. I am thinking maybe with dropbox you can do this by right clicking file in Windows Explorer? If so, there is a definite ease of use advantage to Dropbox there.

Anyway, just log into onedrive.com, find the file you want, right click on it and select version history.

OneDrive, keeps history for much longer than 30 days (I have history one file to last december), so advantage onedrive there.

There is a lot you can do with onedrive once logged in online, it is seeming like maybe people aren't realizing that.

foghat

Thanks for letting us know about this @foghat, I didn't know that OneDrive did version backups also.

I haven't used OneDrive a lot, mostly because like I said in my long post earlier, I find it creepy that Microsoft intentionally goes through my stuff.

If they ever change that behavior I may use them more, I definitely have WAY more space with them than I do with Dropbox!

NP, and as I mentioned above, the history retention is much longer than 30 days.

I was shocked when I read your post about that. Obviously I don't know the details about what the files were, but I wonder if they are just looking at file names/types vs. actually looking at the files. Not that any sort of looking is okay.

I have all kinds of music on my onedrive, no issues.

foghat

Dropbox is definitely easier to share a link with than OneDrive due to the right click thing in Explorer.

Yes, that is definitely easier.

Though unless I was sharing stuff very frequently (like multiple times a day), not sure it would be worth it to me to use two different services. And, really, even if I was sharing frequently, I'd probably just get used to logging into onedrive every morning and do it from there. To each their own I guess. :)

foghat

Did a bit of digging on the ms snooping thing. Surprised they do this, to be honest.

from wikipedia:

Privacy concerns
Data stored on OneDrive is subject to monitoring by Microsoft, and any content that is in violation of Microsoft's Code of Conduct is subject to removal and may lead to temporary or permanent shutdown of an account. This has led to privacy concerns in relation to data stored on OneDrive.[58] Microsoft has responded by indicating that "strict internal policies [are] in place to limit access to a user’s data", and that advanced mechanisms, such as Microsoft's automated PhotoDNA scanning tool, are utilized to ensure users abide with the Code of Conduct and that their account does not contain illegal files (including, but not limited to, partial human nudity (including art or drawings), any discussion of purchasing firearms, any online surveys, etc.[59]).[60]

leeshor

No surprises here. Much of that language also applies to other cloud storage services.

Have you read the license for your OS on your Surface, or any other Microsoft software, (not just Microsoft)? Were you aware that you don't own the software?