What's new

Need Help Determining Best Solution for Dual Monitors

westongreen10

Hi there,

I wanted to see if anyone might have a suggestion as to the best way to get dual monitors setup for our office work stations. We just recently purchased SurfaceBooks and SurfaceDocks, and planned on getting two 4k monitors for each work station, specifically the Dell P2415Q. I was told at the Microsoft store that as long as the monitor’s resolution was the same, you wouldn’t have any scaling issues or anything like that. After doing some research, it seems like this setup won’t really work given the SurfaceDocks capabilities. Since I am the only one in the office that would actually benefit from 4k monitors, I was either going to get two 4k, or one 4k and one 1080p for myself, and get the rest of the office 1080p monitors. I’ve spent numerous hours on the phone with Microsoft support, but wanted to see if someone may have some insight that could help me. I mainly use Adobe Creative Cloud apps for marketing materials and photos/videos.

All that being said, I have a few questions…

1) Is there a way for me to get two 4k monitors working correctly using the surface dock?

a. If so, how would you go about it?

2) Would there be any issues using one 4k monitor and one 1080p monitor?

a. If not, is there a specific way to configure them in order to get the best quality experience?

3) Is there anything in particular I should look out for when purchasing new 1080p monitors for the other work stations in the office?

4) Is there anything specifically I need to look for when purchasing, or anything that I am not taking into consideration? With so many variables, I want to make sure that I am getting the most important specs.

I may not even be going about this the correct way, but I really need some direction. I do not want to make a big purchase and find out that people are having issues. I really just need some advice as to go about making this purchase. With so many variables to take into consideration, I can’t confidently make the best decision for the office.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Weston

I got a Surface Pro 2017 i7 16Gb 512Gb, and was able to connect 2 x Samsung U28D590 4K@60Hz, using a Surface Dock, but only with one connected to the Surface mDP-DP cable, and the other to the Dock with mDP-DP cable. I believe the Dock doesn't support 2 x 4K@60Hz directly by itself.

OP
W

westongreen10

I got a Surface Pro 2017 i7 16Gb 512Gb, and was able to connect 2 x Samsung U28D590 4K@60Hz, using a Surface Dock, but only with one connected to the Surface mDP-DP cable, and the other to the Dock with mDP-DP cable. I believe the Dock doesn't support 2 x 4K@60Hz directly by itself.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up going with two Dell P2416D monitors (2560 x 1440) @ 60Hz and it works just fine. This is the max the surface dock can support. Still have the SurfaceBook display at 3000 x 2000 @ 60Hz. It's not the exact perfect setup, but it definitely gets the job done.

Hope this can be of help to anyone else.

florencio

Plugable.com
I connect four (4) Dell 25" monitors with my SurfaceBook. I haven't connected a 4K monitor, but I believe Plugable has adaptors for it.