What's new

Mysterious Button Surface Keyboard!

Simon Mcc

I have just purchased the Microsoft Surface Keyboard which i'm really liking.. however....

There is one button that is extremely bugging me (screenshot attached) as it doesn't do anything. it looks like a message, so id imagine for new email or Teams etc but...nothing!!

I'm using a surface pro with a Surface Keyboard so i have no idea why it doesn't do anything :)

any help would make me very happy and a lot less frustrated :)

NOTE - this is not the right click button that is on the keyboard and type covers too, this is seperate
76c8559e-3428-44c2-b9a9-f7bf76d18347

Attachments

• this one_LI.jpg
    this one_LI.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 600

Tess

Hi,
I have a SurPro6 as well. I'm sorry I can't help with that button, but wanted to say I'm kinda bummed I don't have it LOL I do have the finger sign on. My issue is my dang Bluetooth KEEPS saying not connected when it CLEARLY is! So my pen isn't doing it's thing like it should.....any issues with that for you?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that key is the "Action Center" hotkey, available on the Surface Ergonomic Keyboard and the Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID.

The Action Center can be accessed on your Surface by either the WindowsKey+A combination, or swiping from the right of your screen with finger or pen. If you have a physical hotkey on your keyboard that does not work to show the Action Center, then you may need to have the keys properly mapped to Windows 10 using the Installer for the Modern Keyboard, available here:
Download Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

The hotkey and the screen shortcut to the Action Center do not seem to be very popular. It could be that Windows 10 no longer supports this special key.

Here is how that button used to be shown on the screen of Surface devices on Windows 8 and some early versions of Windows 10 (2015):

471948-action-button.jfif.jpg

OP
S

Simon Mcc

I believe that key is the "Action Center" hotkey, available on the Surface Ergonomic Keyboard and the Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID.

The Action Center can be accessed on your Surface by either the WindowsKey+A combination, or swiping from the right of your screen with finger or pen. If you have a physical hotkey on your keyboard that does not work to show the Action Center, then you may need to have the keys properly mapped to Windows 10 using the Installer for the Modern Keyboard, available here:
Download Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

The hotkey and the screen shortcut to the Action Center do not seem to be very popular. It could be that Windows 10 no longer supports this special key.

Here is how that button used to be shown on the screen of Surface devices on Windows 8 and some early versions of Windows 10 (2015):

View attachment 9297
that seems to make sense, just why would they release a new keyboard and place a redundant key on there.. leaves me just pressing a button for nothing !! :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to "remap" that key to some function of your own using a utility like, say, SharpKey (no relation). I am not a fan of loading up Windows 10 with utilities like previous versions of Windows typically needed (years 1991 - 2006), but perhaps you can find a function you would like to program for it.

OP
S

Simon Mcc

You might want to "remap" that key to some function of your own using a utility like, say, SharpKey (no relation). I am not a fan of loading up Windows 10 with utilities like previous versions of Windows typically needed (years 1991 - 2006), but perhaps you can find a function you would like to program for it.

Yup.. tried that however it says that the key is E0_1F6C and sharp keys can't remap, as its a triple byte key aparently !!
any other suggestions would be great :)