What's new

My type cover wakes up SP3 when closed. Why?

bryanhayn

At least four times in the past couple of days my SP3 randomly woke up from sleep with the type cover closed while plugged in sitting on my desk. Does this happen to anyone else? To be certain it wasn't my fault, I slept the SP3 and waited a full minute to make sure it was sleeping, then closed the type cover, then left for lunch and returned 2 hours later to find my SP3 had woke up on its own. Also, when it wakes it randomly takes a bunch of front camera pictures. The longer it sits the more pictures it takes.
Another thing I noticed...if I sleep my SP3 and leave the type cover open it will wake up when I touch the trackpad. Notice I said touch not click. Is this normal? Maybe my screen is somehow registering trackpad touches and waking it?

wynand32

The "randomly takes a bunch of front camera pictures" bit is exceedingly odd. Have you check for malware?

At least four times in the past couple of days my SP3 randomly woke up from sleep with the type cover closed while plugged in sitting on my desk. Does this happen to anyone else? To be certain it wasn't my fault, I slept the SP3 and waited a full minute to make sure it was sleeping, then closed the type cover, then left for lunch and returned 2 hours later to find my SP3 had woke up on its own. Also, when it wakes it randomly takes a bunch of front camera pictures. The longer it sits the more pictures it takes.
Another thing I noticed...if I sleep my SP3 and leave the type cover open it will wake up when I touch the trackpad. Notice I said touch not click. Is this normal? Maybe my screen is somehow registering trackpad touches and waking it?
I find my sp3 wakes up all the time when o don't expect it. If its seeing and I pit it on the dock, it wakes up. If its docked and I take it off it wakes up. Even though I changed the device manager to not let the touch cover wale it up, it still sometimes does. I like my sp3 but honestly I've never had a device that acted so randomly flakey.

I find my sp3 wakes up all the time when o don't expect it. If its seeing and I pit it on the dock, it wakes up. If its docked and I take it off it wakes up. Even though I changed the device manager to not let the touch cover wale it up, it still sometimes does. I like my sp3 but honestly I've never had a device that acted so randomly flakey.
Also the auto correct is horrible. I typed put a bunch of times and it gets turned into pit..why??

OP
B

bryanhayn

The "randomly takes a bunch of front camera pictures" bit is exceedingly odd. Have you check for malware?

I'm pretty sure it's not malware as my SP3 is fully updated and I never visit fishy websites and haven't installed any unpopular software.

The pictures only happen when my SP3 wakes up on its own with the type cover closed. The pictures are taken at the pin unlock screen, never when the SP3 is unlocked and at the desktop.

wynand32

If nothing else, I'd go ahead and run a Windows Defender scan. Or, download Malwarebytes and let it do a full scan. I can imagine malware that could be waking the system and taking pictures at random intervals...

malberttoo

I'm pretty sure it's not malware as my SP3 is fully updated and I never visit fishy websites and haven't installed any unpopular software.

The pictures only happen when my SP3 wakes up on its own with the type cover closed. The pictures are taken at the pin unlock screen, never when the SP3 is unlocked and at the desktop.

I occasionally have wake and sleep issues, but nothing serious, just in the "mildly annoying" category. I did check my Pictures folder just now though lol. :D

You can check the "sleep study" utility first to see if there's anything revealing. From an elevated command prompt, type "powercfg sleepstudy". The command window will then tell you where the report has been saved. Open up desktop IE, File> Open, point it to that location and .html file.

If you can't find the cause of the problem, you might want to consider doing a reset/reinstall.

Liam2349

I occasionally have wake and sleep issues, but nothing serious, just in the "mildly annoying" category. I did check my Pictures folder just now though lol. :D

You can check the "sleep study" utility first to see if there's anything revealing. From an elevated command prompt, type "powercfg sleepstudy". The command window will then tell you where the report has been saved. Open up desktop IE, File> Open, point it to that location and .html file.

If you can't find the cause of the problem, you might want to consider doing a reset/reinstall.

When you say wake and sleep issues, do you mean like Pro 2 when you try to wake it and the fan just comes on, then it shuts down?

OP
B

bryanhayn

I did that but I couldn't really make sense of it.

Does anyone else's SP3 wake up when touching the touchpad?

malberttoo

When you say wake and sleep issues, do you mean like Pro 2 when you try to wake it and the fan just comes on, then it shuts down?

No, my limited and infrequent issues mostly go like, I'll be using the SP3 and then ready to go for a while, so I'll just lay the SP3 down flat on the TypeCover, which usually puts it to sleep. Sometimes it doesn't happen properly though, and I return to find the back of the machine warm and the screen on. That's happened probably twice now.

malberttoo

I did that but I couldn't really make sense of it.

Does anyone else's SP3 wake up when touching the touchpad?

You're putting it sleep by pressing the power button?

Also, you can upload the sleep study HTML file here, or post a OneDrive or DropBox link to it. That way some of these guys can have a look at it.

Last edited: