What's new

My SP4 keeps rebooting automatically to install updates and they removed the option to disable? WHY!

macmee

I used to be able to go in and do this:

1382488827831008869.png

but now this option is just gone (lol) and for some reason Microsoft thinks it's A GREAT IDEA to just reboot and close all my programs right in the middle of my work day!

I had to open up group policy editor and navigate that mess to enforce a policy which stops this anti-feature from happening.

But can anyone tell me why Microsoft did this? How the hell does this make any sense?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does it say under restart options?

Mine does not restart until I tell it to, or the machine is o outside of the set active hours.

OP
macmee

macmee

What does it say under restart options?

Mine does not restart until I tell it to, or the machine is o outside of the set active hours.

They've kept the same heading but removed the options to prevent automatic shutdown stuff

NNmFNUn.png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are your active hours set to? This is how my windows update looks. It has an update to install, but will not do so until it is outside of my set active hours, as such, I won't lose any work etc. As the screenshot shows, I get notified that there is a restart needed, and I can then act as I see fit. It even gives me the option to select a specific time and date to perform the update (can set it to update as "far" away as 6 days from now.

update.jpg

OP
macmee

macmee

What are your active hours set to? This is how my windows update looks. It has an update to install, but will not do so until it is outside of my set active hours, as such, I won't lose any work etc. As the screenshot shows, I get notified that there is a restart needed, and I can then act as I see fit. It even gives me the option to select a specific time and date to perform the update (can set it to update as "far" away as 6 days from now.

Yes this is what I see now too with the options to disable automatic restart disabled and it forces me to give it a 6 hour window where its allowed to automatically restart without my permission. And then if I was in sleep it will just restart and kill any running applications.

So without manually editing a group policy there's no way to tell windows not to automatically close your apps and install updates?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty soon there will be new malware every 15 10 5 minutes and critical updates will be trying to keep up so all you'll be doing is installing updates and restarting. :confused: