What's new

My first impression of the typing experience

malberttoo

You are

You obviously aren't old enough. Think Northgate or Avant Stellar (IBM Selectric) style keyboards.

I used to buy Northgate OmniKey keyboards by the case.

There is a guy that makes a tidy sum refurbishing and reconditioning old school IBM keyboards, and they are so popular that he barely keeps up. Let me find the link...

leeshor

I've had my Northgate keyboards reconditioned several times. I think there is only one guy who does that.

vsherry

I actually find most reviews to be a bit too laudatory when it comes to the type cover. I have seen several reviewers give the nod to MacBook Air in typing comparisons, though, and I would tend to agree. The keyboard and trackpad are superior, but I like the Surface overall.

nalbagli

I completeley agree, even though I come from a 15 inch Macbook Pro Retina, and if I had to choose one, the Macbook keyboard, is a little better, the one on my type cover is really really good, and better than many windows laptops i've tried

mtalinm

I'm a Surface fanboy (bought 1, 2, and 3 all on launch day), but as a touch-typist (120wpm) I find I make many more mistakes on this keyboard than on my old Thinkpad. I think the main problem is that it is not quite a full-sized keyboard. I wish they had widened the keyboard on the Type Cover 3 to make it a standard size.

also, it is stupid to have search/charms/devices/settings on the function keys. how about volume controls? back/forward media controls? grrr.

Jeff Au

Cherry switch is not so old-school. It's still very actively used in the gaming keyboard market where those gamers need extreme precision - and feedback - on their keyboard (else millions of their troops could perish haha). If you check out the keyboards for the gaming market, you'll find lots of these "mechanical keyboards" and with different grades of switches. And they are expensive! :p