What's new

MS Surface Pro performance slowdown

ahonkan

Hi, I own an MS SPro 128GB that I used to use regularly. I had the auto-update option turned on & I updated the OS to Win 8.1.
Don't know exactly when this happened, but the SPro has become so slow that it's practically unusable: I checked the Task Mgr to figure out what it's doing but it shows that the CPU is idle 95+% of the time. Just can't figure out why my touches or keystrokes take so long (minutes!) to get acted on. The SPro faithfully stacks all my keystrokes and acts on them in sequence but it takes so horribly long that the machine has become unusable. Any clues on how I can fix this problem will be greatly appreciated. Posting this because I couldn't find any similar problems either in the FAQ or archives. Thanks in advance for your help!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum
95% idle isn't bad at all so it must be something else. Have you done a disk integrity check. A corrupt file system can cause the problem and not be reflected in CPU idle time. How many items are running on the system tray.

kristalsoldier

Welcome to the forum
95% idle isn't bad at all so it must be something else. Have you done a disk integrity check. A corrupt file system can cause the problem and not be reflected in CPU idle time. How many items are running on the system tray.

Though I don't have this problem, I would be interested in knowing what happens if there is a corrupt file system and whether or not the file system can be repaired and to what effect.

Thanks in advance.

leeshor

Corrupt files, indexes etc, what was once called cross linked files among other things, are what can slow a system down and cause it to struggle. The fix is generally to right click on the boot drive in explorer, go to properties - tools tab - check. Checkmark the first box. It will tell you it needs to restart to perform the action. Close everything then restart. This can also be used to check the microSD card.

kristalsoldier

Corrupt files, indexes etc, what was once called cross linked files among other things, are what can slow a system down and cause it to struggle. The fix is generally to right click on the boot drive in explorer, go to properties - tools tab - check. Checkmark the first box. It will tell you it needs to restart to perform the action. Close everything then restart. This can also be used to check the microSD card.

Thanks. Very helpful.