What's new

Monitor scaling adjustment on Docking

Donald King

So I just got my SP3 and I have only one complaint so far. I use it mobile in the evenings but as a desktop replacement during business hours with a dock and 24" monitor running at 1920 x 1080. There is an option to choose scaling options for each monitor independently or for both at the same time - but it doesn't seem to work? I want the scaling to be small on my external monitor so items aren't huge, but larger on the surface so the touch points are bigger in tablet mode. Anyone had any success with this? Or changing the scaling automatically when it is docked / undocked?

upload_2014-10-16_16-6-8.png

surfdock

Donald, this is an excellent observation/feature request and something that folks at MS are looking into for upcoming Windows releases. There are some engineering tradeoffs with how to properly handle varying dpi per monitor and something that seems as simple as "just make it a bit bigger on this screen but not that screen" turns out to be a lot more complicated than you would think. Its quite counter-intuitive. Windows doesn't have it right. Mac doesn't have it right. Linux doesn't have it right.

Until a new OS does this properly, give this workaround a shot:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx
The workaround tends to work best with the 21.5" monitors, but 23"/24" isn't terrible.

Last edited:
OP
Donald King

Donald King

I agree with you on the complexity of changing the scaling during the docking process. This would be quite an accomplishment. I will check out the link you posted and post back. Thanks!

OP
Donald King

Donald King

Thanks again surfdock for the recommendation. I played around with the settings in the article but I still can't set the scaling independently for the two monitors. It is not horrible the way it is now, but could be better. I will wait for Windows 10 to see if this gets fixed. Thanks again!