What's new

Missing my SP3

Gary.M

So after debating with myself for a few weeks I finally decided to send my Surface to Microsoft for a service. The kickstand had started to wobble quite a bit, more so on one side than the other. Another issue is the metal strip that runs alongside the inner edge of the stand, which latches the stand shut with magnets: one edge was starting to come away, slowly made worse with the magnet holding it back as I opened it.
I raised a ticket with Microsoft, backed up an image of the SP3 with Macrium, remembered at the last minute to remove the memory card and packed it in loads of bubble wrap. Took it to my local UPS drop off point and waved bye bye. It is now in Germany - I'm in the UK.

I feel as though my left arm has been chopped off. I keep reaching out for it to find my iPhone 6+ It's a decent enough phone but it's not a Surface. I hope my replacement or repair arrives sooner rather than later.

fletch33

feel for ya. i completely understand this with many devices. hope it makes it back quick and safely.

not sure about Microsoft but a few years ago i had to send my macbook back to Apple for a repair and i dropped it in a DHL box on a Monday morning and Wed morning at 8:30am Fed Ed dropped it back off to me fixed. Hope that is how it goes for you :)

mtalinm

I feel your pain. That's why I buy my surfaces at the Microsoft store. A few weeks back a dead spot developed on the screen, so I biked over to the store, got a swap, and was back up in less than an hour.

Well, then six hours to sync all my files from dropbox and onedrive...

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm debating sending my type cover back as the left click on the touchpad is dodgy, but even sending just that back would be a pain,. Shame there are no MS stores in the UK to take it into. But even if there were it might be inconvenient, I know my hubby had a nightmare with his macbook pro trying to get it fixed on Apple Care, they wouldn't let him send it in, so he had to get to an Apple store at a certain time, which we missed because we were stuck in traffic. No leeway and no appointment available for a couple of weeks so in the end he fixed it himself he wasn't best pleased!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So after debating with myself for a few weeks I finally decided to send my Surface to Microsoft for a service. The kickstand had started to wobble quite a bit, more so on one side than the other. Another issue is the metal strip that runs alongside the inner edge of the stand, which latches the stand shut with magnets: one edge was starting to come away, slowly made worse with the magnet holding it back as I opened it.
I raised a ticket with Microsoft, backed up an image of the SP3 with Macrium, remembered at the last minute to remove the memory card and packed it in loads of bubble wrap. Took it to my local UPS drop off point and waved bye bye. It is now in Germany - I'm in the UK.

I feel as though my left arm has been chopped off. I keep reaching out for it to find my iPhone 6+ It's a decent enough phone but it's not a Surface. I hope my replacement or repair arrives sooner rather than later.

My surface has exactly the same kind of issue. I have complete, so opted just to keep hold of the thing until it became a real issue. Can't afford even one day without this thing.

OP
G

Gary.M

I wish there was a Microsoft Store I could have taken it to, but alas not here in the UK - at least as far as I'm aware locally. Good news is my Surface has made it's way to Germany so hopefully it won't be too long. Never realized how much I'd miss it. Having to make do with an old laptop as I've given up doing even the simplest browsing on the iPhone. Even so, I'm having to surf the web by Splashtop streaming from my main PC. Far quicker than browsing on the laptop alone. Isn't it amazing how far technology has come even over just these past 5 years?

max1122

Gary.M any news from microsoft? I sent mine too and I don't know how much it will take...they said 5-8 days (Europe)....

OP
G

Gary.M

Yes, I looked on the Microsoft Surface customer support site last night and it says a replacement has been sent out. Got a UPS tracking number and so hopefully it will be here in the next few days

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm debating sending my type cover back as the left click on the touchpad is dodgy, but even sending just that back would be a pain,. Shame there are no MS stores in the UK to take it into. But even if there were it might be inconvenient, I know my hubby had a nightmare with his macbook pro trying to get it fixed on Apple Care, they wouldn't let him send it in, so he had to get to an Apple store at a certain time, which we missed because we were stuck in traffic. No leeway and no appointment available for a couple of weeks so in the end he fixed it himself he wasn't best pleased!
There was a thread a few days back on cleaning the edges of the touch pad with a business card to restore it's clickiness by @sharpcolorado. I just use the vacuum with a brush and bleeder valve open so as not to suck the keys off of it :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a thread a few days back on cleaning the edges of the touch pad with a business card to restore it's clickiness by @sharpcolorado. I just use the vacuum with a brush and bleeder valve open so as not to suck the keys off of it :)
Turned out it was just that "Double click and drag" option had got turned on and that was screwing it up. Glad I don't have to send it away :)