What's new

Solved Miracast over hotspot?

emptee

Hey all,

Has anyone had any success connecting to a Miracast device (or better yet, projecting to another Windows 10 device) when using the hotspot feature in Windows 10?

I'm trying to come up with a reliable method for doing so - I use a combination of a SB2 + SP4 (as a second screen), but often times when traveling the Wifi isn't quite reliable enough for projecting to work.

It makes a lot more sense if I could connect the SP4 to the SB2 over the hotspot, and I've successfully done this a handful of times, but most of the time the SP4 doesn't show up when I try to...

Both devices are fully up-to-date and otherwise working well, etc..

Anyone had any luck doing something similar to this? :)

Kind Regards,
Michael

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Connect App uses WiFi Direct and will work even without an internet connection.

OP
E

emptee

Hi Jeff,

Interesting - it seems that in this case, WiFi Direct isn't being used for some odd reason.

Here's what I see from a few tests:

Cell Phone -> SP4: WiFi Direct
Cell Phone -> SB2: WiFi Direct
SP4 -> SB2: WiFi Direct
SB2 -> SP4: WiFi

Unfortunately, I don't have another miracast receiver handy, so I can't test the SB2 against anything else right now...

So, it seems every configuration works, with the exception of the configuration I actually want - go figure!

Have you (or anyone else) seen an issue like this?

Kind Regards,
Michael Thomas

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've connected my SB2 to my Surface Go and to multiple other Surface devices....something is up with your config. Did you make the NVIDIA GPU primary?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@emptee

You should be able to connect regardless of other WiFi networks. I’ve connected my SP3 and Surface Book in the worst of interference conditions: An apartment in Hong Kong.

OP
E

emptee

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies - I managed to get this working in the end. Hopefully, this helps if anyone else stumbles into the same issue for whatever reason :)

For some reason, when the SP4 is connected to the same WiFi network as the SB2, the SB2 uses that network instead of establishing a WiFi Direct connection to the SP4.

As soon as the SP4 is not connected to the same network, it all works as expected.

Thanks for the help and suggestions - if I find the true cause of this, I'll remember to update this thread for anyone who comes across it.

Kind Regards,
Michael