What's new

Microsoft's Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 Likely Launching Together in October [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
surface-pro-4-mockup-2.jpg

The latest rumors from Microsoft seem to point to an October rollout of both Windows 10 and the new Surface Pro 4. What's odd about this rumor is that originally most tech industry insiders expected the Surface Pro 4 to launch earlier in the year.

Of course, if this rumor turns out to be true, it likely makes sense. By holding off on launching the Surface Pro 4 until October, this allows Microsoft a little extra time to refine the product and insures that it gets to launch with Windows 10 on it already. These are just two of several reasons October is expected to be the launch window for the Surface Pro 4. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Another possible reason for the delay in the release date of the Surface Pro 4 is due to the fact that Microsoft would like its combo laptop/tablet to compete directly with the rumored Apple iPad Pro, which the American tech giant may be launching in September this year.

The Surface Pro 4, consistent with previous reports, will apparently come in two models – a 12-inch and a 14-inch variant and both will have up to one terabyte of storage and 16 GB of RAM. Accordingly, both models will also make use of stylus and matching keyboards.

What do you think? Will Microsoft launch it earlier or adopt this rumored strategy to bring everything together at the same time?

Source: MasterHerald

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im my opinion that would be one dumb ass launch date. I say that for the surface 4 at least, and possibly win 10, it has to be at least a month before september. Unless everything is that much in the beta stage still, then they'd be stupid to forfeit the school shopping season, especially for the surface. Releasing it after schools start pretty much ensures that no higher education will buy a surface for that year. If the SP3 had been launched in the UK at that time, then i would not be sat on this forum right now, i'd have been forced to shop elsewhere and would have a traditional laptop or ultrabook.

Given that win 10 is a free upgrade, it really doesn't matter that much when they release it, but the actual surface, it will. why would someone buy a year old SP3 instead of a macbook? SP4 vs macbook is a very different decision though.

Pedrom

compete directly with the rumored Apple iPad Pro

If true, Apple will win. MS need to release it before, or at the latest the same time, in order to compete with a chance of winning, right?

Given that win 10 is a free upgrade, it really doesn't matter that much when they release it.
I'm not sure I agree when it comes to large companies adopting it. Wouldn't schools/companies, etc. want a hassle free platform? I can imagine they would see it as more of a burden getting students/employees used to their fancy new SP4's with Win8.1 on, only to have to re-teach when the mass update of Win10 comes along - which within itself would be a pain...

I don't know. I'm probably wrong...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If true, Apple will win. MS need to release it before, or at the latest the same time, in order to compete with a chance of winning, right?

I'm not sure I agree when it comes to large companies adopting it. Wouldn't schools/companies, etc. want a hassle free platform? I can imagine they would see it as more of a burden getting students/employees used to their fancy new SP4's with Win8.1 on, only to have to re-teach when the mass update of Win10 comes along - which within itself would be a pain...

I don't know. I'm probably wrong...

I agree to a point, but i was in this instance talking about purely win 10, not relative to the SP4, and mostly with regard to consumers. At this stage, there really isn't that much of a learning curve between any of the operating systems. People didn't like 8.1 because it was too difficult to use, largely because without a touchscreen it was just a bit of a crap experience, as such those who already had a coputer stuck with 7, and those with a new one just begrudgingly stuck with 8. Win 10 really won't require much re-learning. But i could also be wrong.

From an enterprise perspective though, who knows what is what, certainly not me. Although i guess you could argue that it doesn't really matter when they release it because everyone is still on XP so who cares :p

vxm

12 and 14 inch device with up to 16gigs of ram- this is interesting for me, having 14inch machine at home +surface 3 on the go would be great for all sorts of graphics enthusiasts, designers etc.

jrioux

The last rumor I read is that the iPad Pro won't be out until 2016. Who knows if it ever sees the light of day?

Last edited:

Clovismod

Asus will release new devices with W10 and Slylake Intel CPUs around September. So SP4 will maybe get them; 2 more hours of autonomy, fanless design with Core M or at least Core I5 and 7 with a very silent fan....

ScottyS

So ... with Win10 now having an official release date of July 29th, what does this do to the rumors for a SP4 release?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So ... with Win10 now having an official release date of July 29th, what does this do to the rumors for a SP4 release?

Very little. Pretty much all the rumours i've read to date have seemingly been made up from thin air, because why not, who's gonna prove the rumour wrong until a launch anouncement? :)