What's new

Microsoft's First Nokia Ad Looks Promising

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
[video=youtube;Gpj4w9_T_Yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpj4w9_T_Yg[/video]​

This story isn't directly related to the Surface, but it is entertaining Microsoft news, so we thought we would share it. Some of Microsoft's previous ads for products have been rather hit or miss. The ads that poked subtle fun at both Apple and Android were worth a chuckle or two, while the ads that showcased folks dancing around and clicking their Surfaces were almost cringeworthy.

Today's commercial features the finally acquired Microsoft Nokia line. This one actually falls somewhere in between the other ads. Despite not really talking about the product much at all, it does a good job of developing a mystique around owning it. Let us know if you think this new video from Microsoft looks promising or just hum-ho.

benjitek

...it does a good job of developing a mystique around owning it...
Celebrate that as a WP owner, you don't have as many apps as 'everybody-else' -- and most apps you do have aren't as well supported as 'everybody-else'... Not sure why you'd want to go with a platform that has poor developer support just to be different -- or why you'd make a commercial promoting that fact -- but whatever ;-)

Last edited:

kundas1

wow you really seem like an apple fanboy that for what ever reason owns a SP2 and seems to have discontent with MS might get ahead of Apple... also you seem to fail to see the huge scope of all of this, this is big news for MS and all of tech world, now that MS has acquisitioned Nokia and with the Surface tablet, they have now planted their feet in the hardware tech world. Now that developers see MS as a serious hardware developer and HUGE market base they will be more serious in starting to develop the software and Apps for the Surface/nokia phones (windows 8 platform) and I predict the apps, games, media will start to flood the market place like crazy...this is only going to get better IMO. More devices that have windows 8 means more software developers are going to flock to windows 8 as there will be a HUGE market place for them to make MONEY. can't wait to see the outcome....

benjitek

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...wow you really seem like an apple fanboy...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]
Fanboy might be a little strong. I do have an iPhone for personal use, and a Nokia Icon for work. Microsoft had been my 1st choice for mobility products since the introduction of HP WindowsCE monochrome clamshell pocket computers. Stuck with them up until Windows Mobile (or was it PocketPC) About the time the iPhone 3GS came out I got tired of using what was quickly becoming antiquated tech. They were watching the mobility market pass on by and I got tired of watching with them... so did the developers.

My new Icon was an upgrade to some other Nokia WP8 device from Verizon. It had a number, not a name -- whatever it was, it was forgettable. I've installed WP8.1 on the Icon -- it's fine. The device looks nice, I like the larger screen but I prefer using my iPhone 5S -- it has all the apps I need, many of which are unavailable for WindowsPhone. Overall, apps are more refined and better supported on iOS. iOS is currently a much better choice for mobile devices than WP8 or RT. Not that years from now that won't change, but currently, that's how it is. Just stating facts, not conjecture or opinion.

My 512GB SP2 has for the most part replaced my iPad 3 -- which is now pretty much a home stereo system and WeMo control center (no WP8/RT app for WeMo, or plans to make one).

kundas1

ok maybe it did seem overly strong and I apologize, but it irks me to no end when people start to spew out reason [blah blah blah] not many apps, or apple has more apps [blah blah blah] when they seem to forget that 1) MS is still new to the tablet market and 2) JUST getting into the phone market with their recent acquisition of Nokia.. so of course there isn't much apps...same thing when I remember first time getting an iPhone for the first time so many years ago and there wasn't much out there in Apple land...

benjitek

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...MS is JUST getting into the phone market...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]
Hardly -- they were among the first. They were pre-Apple/Android. If they're new to anything, it's attempting to become relevant and competitive in the mobility market. Who knows, they just might do it -- stranger things have happened. Regardless, it won't be anytime soon ;-)

daniielrp

ok maybe it did seem overly strong and I apologize, but it irks me to no end when people start to spew out reason [blah blah blah] not many apps, or apple has more apps [blah blah blah] when they seem to forget that 1) MS is still new to the tablet market and 2) JUST getting into the phone market with their recent acquisition of Nokia.. so of course there isn't much apps...same thing when I remember first time getting an iPhone for the first time so many years ago and there wasn't much out there in Apple land...

Interesting Fact: In 2007, Windows Mobile market share was around 50% of the US marketplace [source], so calling them new to this marketplace is ridiculous. That is also the same year the iPhone launched, and by 2010 when Microsoft realised Windows Mobile was going nowhere and killed it and replaced it with Windows Phone 7, it had dropped to 7% due to Apple and Android phones.

Microsoft are in now way new to the "Mobile" or "Tablet" markets, they've been trying to cram Windows down our throats on those devices for at least a decade. There problem is that they were so reluctant to let go of the golden goose that is Windows and try something different, that they fell waaaay behind. Now with Windows Phone, and RT, they are finally trying to give us something different, and it may work. However, at this point, benjitek is completely right - the OS is fine, but the 3rd party app situation is dire. I know you might say apps aren't everything, but, really they are what makes a system, 3rd parties are what makes a system successful.

And FYI, just because some says something you don't like about a system you like, doesn't make them an instant enemy fanboy.

Last edited:

kundas1

You guys seem to forget that it wasn't Microsoft who was Making these windows phone back then, they were just supplying the software for the phones, it was independent phone companies fabricating these phones.... now that MS has bought Nokia will they have more of a direct say into how and what is powering the phones...also back in 2007 there wasn't many phone OS there was like only 3 which is why MS had 50% of the market share because they were already almost 50% of the OS!! so yes they are just getting into the phone market!

Last edited:

benjitek

...You guys seem to forget that it wasn't Microsoft who was Making these windows phone back then, they were just supplying the software for the phones...
Ummm... they're still doing that -- again, they're not new to this. Thanks though for stopping by, everyone's >opinion< is important ;-)

daniielrp

You guys seem to forget that it wasn't Microsoft who was Making these windows phone back then, they were just supplying the software for the phones, it was independent phone companies fabricating these phones.... now that MS has bought Nokia will they have more of a direct say into how and what is powering the phones...also back in 2007 there wasn't many phone OS there was like only 3 which is why MS had 50% of the market share because they were already almost 50% of the OS!! so yes they are just getting into the phone market!

Actually there were loads of OSs as every manufacturer used their own software in 2007 - Windows, Symbian, Bada, BlackBerry are some popular ones, but then every phone from LG, Motorola, Sony all had their own OSs, adding up to many many more than 3.

MarkDau

Celebrate that as a WP owner, you don't have as many apps as 'everybody-else' -- and most apps you do have aren't as well supported as 'everybody-else'... Not sure why you'd want to go with a platform that has poor developer support just to be different -- or why you'd make a commercial promoting that fact -- but whatever ;-)

I am not taking sides here, but I do want to point out that Apple's pre-iPod marketing followed the exact same premise - use a platform with less developer support, "Think Different." I know you didn't necessarily mention Apple, I just think it's an interesting point that you made.

Also, lets not assume applications are every user's #1 priority. As for you not being sure why they would promote "being different" in product advertisement, I think your confusion lies your assumption that they are promoting "being different" through "having less apps." :eek:

Last edited:

benjitek

...Apple's pre-iPod marketing followed the exact same premise - use a platform with less developer support, "Think Different."...
There wasn't an app market at the time -- Apple created it and then it became populated. I think your confusion lies in the definition of innovation -- thanks though for stopping by, everyone's >opinion< is important ;-)