What's new

Microsoft Sued Over Surface Storage Claims

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
_msft_lawsuit.jpg

Here's a head-scratcher for you guys today. What do you think of this one? Is this guy justified or just wasting the court's time?

A California attorney has filed a lawsuit against Microsoft, claiming that the company's new Surface tablet does not deliver as much storage as advertised.

Andrew Sokolowski claims in court papers that the Surface RT tablet he purchased was supposed to be capable of storing 32 GB of data, but that only 16 GB remained after accounting for the pre-installed Windows RT operating system and Microsoft Office apps.

The suit was filed earlier this week in Superior Court in Los Angeles. In a statement to the Associated Press, Microsoft said the suit, which asks for class-action status, is baseless.

"Customers understand the operating system and pre-installed applications reside on the device's internal storage, thereby reducing the total free space," Microsoft said. Surface RT is available in 32 GB or 64 GB configurations. The price starts at $499 for the 32-GB unit.

The lawsuit is the latest headache for Microsoft when it comes to Surface and Windows 8 tablets in general. A source said the company's sales reps are unhappy that a more business-friendly version of Surface, known as Surface Pro, won't be available until later this year or early next year.

Continue Reading @: Microsoft Sued Over Surface Storage Claims - Software - Windows 8 -

J515OP

Super Moderator
Wasting the court's time and the taxpayers money. Nothing new about the OS taking up some of the total capacity.

TrentonT

Just goes to show that being a lawyer dose not mean you are inteligent.
It dose prove that people that do not understand a technology should not buy into it without doing a bit of learning first.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Or maybe it just reinforces that all lawyers are slimey ambulance chasers (no offence intended to lawyers here) ;) It is probably a calculated move to get a settlement to go away.

Sin

While I'm not going to sue over it, I was lied to my the Microsoft employee about how much storage would be available in the device. Could have checked for myself, but they were there to answer questions. Not a huge deal so far, but it is annoying none the less.

AFPoster

I totally agree with this. It's very misleading and that's why on day 2 of owning my Surface when I received it on the 28 of Oct I called Microsoft to complain. If you buy an iPad 16gb you really get 13.4gb a Surface however takes half, very different from it's competition but doing the same thing. I just believe if your getting 32gb you should get close to that. It annoys me enough to want to sue as well.

steve

another lawsuit

Isn't there a thing called common sense anymore. Maybe this guy should have read the sales blurb before he bought. I suspect he did and bought the device as an excuse to stick it to Microsoft. Disclaimer in case of law suit - Obviously this is only my opinion.