What's new

Microsoft releases Windows 8.1, a year in making

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
windows-81.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Microsoft released its long-awaited Windows 8.1 upgrade as a free download Thursday. It addresses some of the gripes people have had with Windows 8, the dramatically different operating system that attempts to bridge the divide between tablets and PCs.

Windows 8.1 still features the dual worlds that Windows 8 created when it came out last October. On one hand, it features a touch-enabled tile interface resembling what's found in tablet computers. On the other, there's the old desktop mode where the keyboard and mouse still reign. The update adds some new finger- and gesture-friendly shortcuts for touch-based apps, while restoring some respect for the desktop mode that a billion PC users have become accustomed to.

The release comes as sales of traditional desktop and laptop computers continue to decline because consumers are spending money instead on the latest smartphones and tablets. It also comes at a time of transition for Microsoft as the Redmond, Wash., company focuses on devices and services, not just software. Earlier this month, Microsoft struck a deal to acquire Nokia's phone business and patent rights for more than $7 billion. Microsoft is also searching for a new CEO to replace Steven A. Ballmer, who announced last month that he plans to retire within the next year.

Continue Reading @: Microsoft releases Windows 8.1, a year in making

oion

Robert1969

Hello to all users: I just download WIN 8.1 ALSO OUTLOOK IT'S LOOKS OK FOR ME BECAUSE I have one of the first RT ON THE MARKET. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I GET INTO IT

THE UPDATE IS GOOD FOR THE VERY FIRST RT'S

WILL LET YOU KNOW MY THOUGHTS LATER.