What's new

Microsoft Planning to Sell 'a few million' Surface Tabs in 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-surface-blue-full-front.jpeg

Microsoft has a lofty, yet attainable goal in mind for the Surface Tablet next year. According to CEO Steve Ballmer, they intend to sell "a few million" Microsoft Surface Tablets in 2013. Here's a quote from the ZDNet article,

On July 9 at the Worldwide Partner Conference opening keynote, I got an answer. CEO Steve Ballmer told attendees Microsoft's goal is to sell "a few million Surface PCs" in the coming year. (I actually thought I heard Ballmer say "a few millions," with an "s.") Ballmer also said that according to estimates, there will be 375 million Windows PCs sold in the next 12 months. His implication was there would still be lots of OEMs making Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows RT (Windows on ARM) machines, too.

What do you guys think? Will they be able to do it?

Source: ZDNet

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes, I think this is a rather broad statement and should be easily met. Android tablets and iPads each hit several million units sold per quarter. To think Surface would not reach a "few million" (say a minimum of 3 million for a few) in a full year seems sort of absurd. Depending on the release date and final details, such as price and stock available, Surface could hit a few million sales in Q4 2012.

akayareal

Wont be easy. They are not known for hardware outside of Zune and there are just to much unknowns with this. I personally feel they released info to soon. They should have had the press conference about a month or so before release to keep the buzz strong. As said before, PRICE will be the one deciding factor for most.

RobKort

I seriously have my doubts about "a few millions" but I also been wrong before. Only time will tell if their allegations become true fact.

dtalexone

Wont be easy. They are not known for hardware outside of Zune and there are just to much unknowns with this. I personally feel they released info to soon. They should have had the press conference about a month or so before release to keep the buzz strong. As said before, PRICE will be the one deciding factor for most.

I definitely agree. Even though I would shell out $1,000 for one of these bad boys, I don't think that the average consumer would.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I definitely agree. Even though I would shell out $1,000 for one of these bad boys, I don't think that the average consumer would.

I guess that depends on who the "average" customer is. For comparison here is a recent announcement from Fujitsu about it's latest line up of professional series laptops.

Fujitsu, has reportedly launched the Stylistic Q702 notebook-slash-tablet and the redesigned LifeBook T902 laptop with rotating screen. Both portable devices are aimed at business professionals on-the-go and were introduced as part of the 2012 Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference that took place in Toronto, Ontario. According to the manufacturer, the Q702 and T902 will become available in Q3 of this year with prices starting at $1,099 and $1,899, respectively.
Source:Fujitsu intros the Windows 8-ready Stylistic Q702 hybrid tablet and LifeBook T902 convertible notebook - Notebookcheck.net News

So the current Surface price would be very comparable to these models targeted at business users. The cheaper the better though.