What's new

Microsoft Officially Unveils New Surface RT 2 Revamped

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
surface-rt-2.jpg

Microsoft also officially unveiled the newly revamped Surface RT 2. Here's the breakdown of specs and features on the new Surface RT refresh:

• Supposedly more focused on productivity
  • Faster - doubled the bus speed - increased the CPU speed - Tegra 4 processor
  • New full HD display - same full HD display as the Pro 2 - 10.6-inch 1080p
  • built from two pieces of Magnesium
  • Battery life has been improved by 25% - 12 hours of battery life
  • Now available in white as well as the original slate black color
  • More than 100,000 apps in the Windows Store no available
  • Full Office suite included this time, including Outlook - just like on the Surface Pro & Pro 2
  • Surface 2 also features a 72-core GPU for vastly improved gaming performance - part of the Tegra 4 processor architecture
  • New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles
  • USB 3.0 port
  • Rear camera that is five times better than the original optics - front camera improved as well
  • free international calling with Skype along with each Surface 2 purchase
  • Surface 2 comes with 200GB of SkyDrive storage
  • "New cover now features 1,092 integrated sensors compared to 80 sensors in the first-generation cover. The result is a much more accurate typing experience" - new predictive typing feature that corrects words even when you miss keys or hit the wrong keys
As far as pricing info goes, we have word that the 16GB model of the Surface RT 2 will sell for $449. It should be launching October 22nd. They are actually calling this one the Surface 2 to differentiate it from the Surface RT.

The original Surface RT will still be available for $349.99. Furthermore, the original model will also get Microsoft’s full Office suite with Outlook.

September 23rd at 8AM EDT preorders become available for all of the new Surface products.

Source: BGR

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

The backlit type cover is nice.

The starting price for the Surface Pro 2 will be 899.99. That's for the 64GB/4GB RAM

So here's my price guess for each model:
64GB/4GB - 899 (announced starting price)
128GB/4GB - $999
256GB/8GB - $1199
512GB/8GB - $1399

I would go for the 256GB model, but not at 1199. I guess I'll wait when the Surface 3 plans are announced and the get the SPro2 at a discount with the new type cover.

Last edited:

oion

16GB model----wait, what?

I know there was confusion and contention about the actual "disk space" for the v1 Surface models, but is that 16GB "free"? Huh.

Bonj87

i dont know about the rest of you, but i have 2 issues with the new line
1) no LTE support? still.. REALLY MS?
2) still no SKU to get Win 8.x ENTERPRISE.. MS.. common.. wake up.. ENTEPRISE.. DIRECT ACCESS.. TABLET.. think about it for a minute and you'll know why im asking why you dont have a SKU for ENTERPRISE on the Surface...

Omni

Loving the new kickstand. Looks like they implemented that perfectly. Will have to have a play to know for sure though. :)

TeknoBlast

i dont know about the rest of you, but i have 2 issues with the new line
1) no LTE support? still.. REALLY MS?
2) still no SKU to get Win 8.x ENTERPRISE.. MS.. common.. wake up.. ENTEPRISE.. DIRECT ACCESS.. TABLET.. think about it for a minute and you'll know why im asking why you dont have a SKU for ENTERPRISE on the Surface...

For a long while, I thought LTE or any type of data service needed to be on a tablet, but with phones now having tethering included in the data plan, data service is not longer a requirement for me. I turn on Internet Sharing on my phone and my tablet has instant internet.

souldier

I do wish that the Surface 2 was running on an atom bay trail processor than on RT. Then it would really destroy any other android/IOS tablet since it would be a full computer

Bonj87

For a long while, I thought LTE or any type of data service needed to be on a tablet, but with phones now having tethering included in the data plan, data service is not longer a requirement for me. I turn on Internet Sharing on my phone and my tablet has instant internet.

the problem is.. not all carriers allow you to talk and tether at the same time.. which is a MUST for field sales..