What's new

Microsoft just emailed me about my Power Cord replacement

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oddly this notice came from: XBOX Customer Support
I don't have nor ever had an XBOX or XBOX account. Regardless the rest was legitimate and it was signed by Microsoft and the Surface Support Team.

Text below:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE AC Power Cords for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and certain Microsoft Surface Pro 3’s

Microsoft has initiated a voluntary recall for AC power cords (the cord that plugs into an electrical outlet) sold with the Microsoft Surface Pro and Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and with any Microsoft Surface Pro 3 purchased prior to March 15, 2015 ("pre-March 15, 2015 Surface Pro 3"). This is being done in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies.

If these AC cords are sharply and repeatedly bent or wrapped tightly over an extended period of time, they may become damaged. Damaged AC power cords can overheat, posing a potential fire or shock hazard.

According to our records, we show the following devices registered to you that are eligible for a replacement AC power cord.

Product .......... Serial Number
Surface Pro 3 ...... xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Action Required:

• Stop using your AC power cord if you have a Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2, or a pre-March 15, 2015, Surface Pro 3. Replacement AC power cords will be provided at no cost through the program website.
  • Please go to the Microsoft website at www.surface.com/powercord to obtain your free replacement AC power cord. You should dispose or recycle your replaced AC cord in accordance with local requirements.
  • Review the cord care instructions on the Surface support page at Power Cord Care.
Note:

Microsoft Surface devices and other accessories are not affected. Only the specified AC power cords are subject to this recall, including AC power cords provided with power supply units sold separately before March 15, 2015.

AC power cords connect the power supply unit to a wall outlet and are removable from the power supply unit. If your existing AC power cord looks identical to the one pictured below, it is subject to this recall.

Surface-power-cord-type-A-en-US.png

If you have an eligible Surface Pro device whose serial number is not listed above, you will be able to register your Surface device and place an order for the replacement AC power cord.

Microsoft appreciates your continued support and is committed to provide the best possible experience with your Surface.

Thank you,

Microsoft and the Surface Support Team

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I had been meaning to order a replacement ... so now its on the way. Good job.

ScottyS

I can't get this web site to work. When I go to www.surface.com/powercord and verify my shipping address and then pick my device, enter the serial number and click Register I get the spinning lines wait symbol but it never gets any further. I've tried multiple times for 2 different Surface Pro's I have registered, tried in Edge and Internet Explorer and it never gets past that serial number Register.

EDIT
Just tried it with Fire Fox, doesn't work there either. Has anyone gotten this web page to work?

Last edited:

Mervoid

I received the same email yesterday. Site worked for me but I'm in Canada and the link takes me to the US site. I'm able to login just fine but I'm not able to select my Province even though the country selected is Canada. My address is correct but there's a dropdown menu to select my State. I logged into the Canadian version of the same site but the results are identical. It only has the dropdown menu to select my State, not Province. So now I'm stuck. Fortunately I'm very close to a Microsoft Store so I may have to get my replacement via the physical store. Anyone else in Canada having this issue?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears the cord was shipped fedex second business day, scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

seyclone

I received my replacement cord. It's a cheap piece of "crap", also a lot shorter than the original. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the original, so I'm keeping the replacement as a spare

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
At 99 cents per foot I guess they saved a couple million dollars by going with a short cord. ;)

yonghong

I received the same email yesterday. Site worked for me but I'm in Canada and the link takes me to the US site. I'm able to login just fine but I'm not able to select my Province even though the country selected is Canada. My address is correct but there's a dropdown menu to select my State. I logged into the Canadian version of the same site but the results are identical. It only has the dropdown menu to select my State, not Province. So now I'm stuck. Fortunately I'm very close to a Microsoft Store so I may have to get my replacement via the physical store. Anyone else in Canada having this issue?
Nope

Johnny365

i have two AC adapters, one's a spare in my travel bag and the other I use as my main always connected cord. Since it's shorter, I probably won't be requesting this.