What's new

microsoft complete. word of warning

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just thought id let you guys know, that I'm in the process of trying to get my device replaced, and have been asking about when to buy Microsoft complete. And I'm quite surprised.

Ibhave been told by the MS rep that if I were to buy the complete warranty package today, and then return the device because of a faulty kickstand, a hardware defect, not an accidental damage claim, then it would count as one of my two returns. Yet if I were not to buy complete, it would be replaced for a new unit no questions asked. If I had Microsoft complete and return it for a hardware defect, I would also not receive a new device, but a refurb. Whereas if I do not have complete, I can send off for the exact same return reason but get a brand new one.

Kif

The doesn't sound right at all. Probably another poorly trained contractor at Surface support.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So just a quick update.

If you have bought Microsoft complete, and your device completely fails, be it fail to turn on, ssd fails, battery fails, kickstand fails, basically absolutely anything that would be covered by the standard 1 year warranty, returning it will result in 1 strike against your complete warranty, and will result in a refurb.

The MS Mr man has advised me to return it for a full refund, then to repurchase, and if happy with the new order/device, then to buy complete. But not to buy complete on it prior to return, and that I wouldn't be able to buy complete for the replacement.

Knew there was more to the complete warranty than met the eye, hence why I inquired.

And yes, common sense would indicate that a hardware issue would not be a hit on the complete warranty, but I'm being told otherwise, and given I've no other information to go on, I shall return for replacement and repurchase so that I can apply complete to the new unit.

Fyi, this is the best trained support staff I've yet to encounter, he seemed incredibly knowledgeable about the entire return and warranty and complete situation. When you buy complete, it replaces the standard 1 hear warranty, it doesn't sit on top of it.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was. I am going to start another live chat, hopefully with a different person, and see if they arrive at the same conclusion.

Kif

Look the "Service Plan" component and the ADP component are separate. I would talk to a manager.

Untitled.png

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look the "Service Plan" component and the ADP component are separate. I would talk to a manager.

View attachment 3694

I am aware of that. Live chat is now closed so can't offer an update, but as it is, I've been told that the 2 strike of the complete warranty also applies to hardware failure, just without the deductible. I'll just send it back for a refund. Won't really be anything more than a day more than trying to get a replacement.

And as said, I've also been told that no matter this issue, even if its a hardware fault, if I have the complete cover, then ill be given a refurb, not a new unit, whether it is advanced replacement or not. This is in the UK btw, seems country to country the policies vary. I'm going to try and find the terms and conditions of the uk extended warranty in the morning to cross check things for myself. Because while the guy seemed very knowledgeable, his grammar was highly questionable (would upload the screenshot I took of one of his responses if may internet wasn't slower thsn on a 56k modem

Pepper

even if its a hardware fault, if I have the complete cover, then ill be given a refurb, not a new unit, whether it is advanced replacement or not.
You'll get a unit that is predestined for warranty replacements, packed in a warranty return box; either new or refurbished who can tell - probably determined by whether they have refurb or new stock on hand at the time - but covered "as new" regardless, per the terms of the warranty.

What you're saying about non-damage items counting against the two incidents just doesn't make sense, and conflicts with everything I've previously learned or been told about Complete.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll get a unit that is predestined for warranty replacements, packed in a warranty return box; either new or refurbished who can tell - probably determined by whether they have refurb or new stock on hand at the time - but covered "as new" regardless, per the terms of the warranty.

What you're saying about non-damage items counting against the two incidents just doesn't make sense, and conflicts with everything I've previously learned or been told about Complete.

I do not deny that it makes no sense, I am simply stating exactly what Microsoft have told me. And they have told me that if I return the unit (again, UK, policies seem to vary country to country) without owning a complete warranty, and ill get s new unit, not like for like. The rep strongly advised me to return for refund and repurchase if I didn't want a refurb or any strikes against the complete warranty.

As I say, and as I told the support rep, it makes aero sense, but that's what I'm being told. If I want a new unit, and the ability to keep both strikes on complete, to get a refund and buy another one, not to request a replacement, as even without currently owning complete, I wouldn't be able to purchase it for the replacement unit.

leeshor

UK laws provide for some better/different warranty coverage than most other countries. There is a type of lemon law for electronics. I forget the exact terminology.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I vaguely know of the thing you speak of. My dads an old hat electronic buff, would queue overnight to buy a specify set of speakers etc, and then graduated and became a world renowned lawyer. Alas I share more of my mothers traits and can't recall what it was he used to advise me when I was a teenager and getting militant about faulty hardware and the companies legal obligations with regard to a known and accepted defect. Not fit for purpose, contract is void. I'm not going to be trading this in and jump and skip to a MacBook though, I do have a shred of integrity and self pride.