What's new

Metro start screen from the DT

tonyz3

Solved Metro start screen from the DT

Hey I am wondering if anyone knows the program that adds a start button to the desktop but not the normal start button. when pressed it gives you kind of a picture in picture of the metro start screen which you can scroll thru and pick apps. This program adds it to your Taskbar. Desktop Divider - Features - Actual Multiple Monitors - Actual Tools but this prog has a minor bug I can not get over and so I just uninstalled it. I could remember that this one add on- described above was posted somewhere but I can not find it. NOT looking for a start button replacement app. lol I decided to load up Start 8 from stardock and well they have that feature. even though I don't want the old start button crap... you can config it to pull up a small window which has your metro start screen on your desktop. This is probably why so many downloads of this prog not for the traditional start button...lol I can hear the peanut gallery now....:eek:mg:

Last edited:
OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

start 8 metro screen.jpgpicture added

J515OP

Super Moderator
That is pretty cool but also strikes me as kind of point less. Ok so now you have replicated the Start screen on the desktop isn't that really just the same as jumping entirely into the Start screen? Sure you can see a little of the desktop but at that point your focus is on selecting an app (the reason you opened the Start window) and presumably when you choose an app you are going to jump into that and out of desktop anyway. What is the advantage of doing it this way?

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

dang I think my cool aide just got Pi$$ed in. :LOL: - keep in mind I have had it on for about 30mins, but the live tiles can be seen in real time, there are other nice conf options, with search, adding the start button to my monitor 2, adding win x func to rt click on the button, some other stuff.......not going to go back to the old start button but this is interesting at least for the free 30 days. I have tried most of there other progs and uninstalled them, Décor 8 I still have but looks like most of what it does may come with blue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I look forward to hearing about any unique ways to use the feature and I wan't trying to rain on your parade. I just don't understand the advantage and would like to know if there actually is one or if this simply more of a gimmick to make people feel good about the Start button by offering a sort of transition that doesn't really do anything ;)

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

lol no it is def gimmicky. I see your point there...., you can also set that screen to jump into the all apps screen if that is your thing.... most of what is does can be done already some other way, rt now it just makes the convenience of the mon 2 options for me a little easier until I get the touch worked out on it,

bosamar

If the Desktop is open you can just use the Windows key to jump back and forth. I do like they way you think though! :tongue:

J515OP

Super Moderator
lol no it is def gimmicky. I see your point there...., you can also set that screen to jump into the all apps screen if that is your thing.... most of what is does can be done already some other way, rt now it just makes the convenience of the mon 2 options for me a little easier until I get the touch worked out on it,

Did you try DP to mon1, USB 3 to mon2up w/USB 3 to HDMI also on mon2, and mon2 hub port (or other usb hub) to mon1up as was suggested in the other thread? This would put video directly to mon1 from DP, directly to mon2 via USB to HDMI and then link mon1up back through mon2 to the Surface for touch.

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

I saw the mon info posted the other day but have been busy with work, I was going to give it a go in either tonight or the next few days.......I will def update the other post when I get a chance to try it.