What's new

Metro Apps - No Connection On Wake

I've noticed an issue with my i7 SP3 recently. When I turn on (wake up, whatever...) the unit after it sits closed and idle for a while, maybe a few hours or more, Metro apps cannot connect to the internet. I've noticed this especially with IE, the Store, and the weather app. They don't just hang, they actually show a big message that there is no connection. However, if I go into desktop apps, I can connect just fine. Last night, I toggled my wifi off and on, and all was well again.

Is this common?

ctitanic

I've noticed an issue with my i7 SP3 recently. When I turn on (wake up, whatever...) the unit after it sits closed and idle for a while, maybe a few hours or more, Metro apps cannot connect to the internet. I've noticed this especially with IE, the Store, and the weather app. They don't just hang, they actually show a big message that there is no connection. However, if I go into desktop apps, I can connect just fine. Last night, I toggled my wifi off and on, and all was well again.

Is this common?
Do you have hyper-V enabled?
Here is a workaround:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...41&msgId=47e4fbee-b56a-4248-98b1-c1ea1318b994

ctitanic

Nope. I have never enabled Hyper-V on this machine. This is a pretty "normal" set-up: Office 2010, occasional AutoCAD, heavy Drawboard use. It only seems to occur in Modern apps and not desktop.
I never have seen anything like that.

OP
S

savaytse66

Well, I still seem to be having issues with internet connectivity with ONLY MUI apps after starting the SP3 from an extended "off" period. Desktop apps connect fine. Usually, toggling the wifi will fix it, but not always.

Is there a network driver or something I can install? I don't want to remove the current driver, because then I cannot download a new one! But if I can download one ahead of time, I can have it ready to go. That's the only thing I can think to try, unless any of you have other ideas.

ctitanic

Well, I still seem to be having issues with internet connectivity with ONLY MUI apps after starting the SP3 from an extended "off" period. Desktop apps connect fine. Usually, toggling the wifi will fix it, but not always.

Is there a network driver or something I can install? I don't want to remove the current driver, because then I cannot download a new one! But if I can download one ahead of time, I can have it ready to go. That's the only thing I can think to try, unless any of you have other ideas.
Uninstall without deleting the file. Once you do that restart and Windows will find the driver Located in the driver repository in your device.

tay island

Did that work for you?

I have been having the no Metro connectivity for weeks. Uninstalling the drivers and doing a hard reboot worked once, but no longer. MS tech support promptly defaults to "reset and refresh."