What's new

Marvell Avastar Bluetooth and Wireless adapter

Rugratbk

Hi,

My SP3 is not finding any WIFI networks and Bluetooth is not even seen as 'on'. This is the second time that I am having this issue - last time a full system reset fixed the issue. This time around, I am now at my third consecutive reset and the issue remains.

In short, my Bluetooth adapter is not showing up in the Device Manager listing (attached) while the Network adapter is coming up as fine. I have tried:
  • multiple driver updates from the MS official lists and still no fix.
  • reset WIFI/Bluetooth in UEFI and no fix.
  • rolling back Marvell WIFI adapter drivers and no fix.
Is this a common issue and is it indicative of a hardware fail?

I am very close to given up on the SP3.

Cheers,
AB

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-03-02 215620.jpg
    Annotation 2019-03-02 215620.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 745

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure your connectors and ports are debris free.

Otherwise, even if BT is dead or too unreliable, you can add a tiny USB Bluetooth adapter for cheap cheap.

OP
R

Rugratbk

Make sure your connectors and ports are debris free.

Otherwise, even if BT is dead or too unreliable, you can add a tiny USB Bluetooth adapter for cheap cheap.

I wasn't clear - both BT and Wireless are dead - only difference is that Wireless adapter is showing and I can try different drivers and uninstall/re-install.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, that is serious. But you can still use an external WiFi/Bluetooth USB instead of giving up completely on your SP3.
I keep this one in my bag in case for some reason my Surface Book 2 does not connect, or I need to transmit to a disconnected computer. Very low cost.
USB Combo Ralink RT5370L WiFi adapter + BCM2046B1 Bluetooth 3.0 adapter

sku_149168_3.jpg

OP
R

Rugratbk

Okay, that is serious. But you can still use an external WiFi/Bluetooth USB instead of giving up completely on your SP3.
I keep this one in my bag in case for some reason my Surface Book 2 does not connect, or I need to transmit to a disconnected computer. Very low cost.
USB Combo Ralink RT5370L WiFi adapter + BCM2046B1 Bluetooth 3.0 adapter

Definitely can still use external adapter(s) - while it would be extremely inconvenient and in the way (primary use of the surface is note taking at the moment), that should keep it going.

I was hoping for another solution, and definitely hoping that it was not a hardware issue with the SP3

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try fully discharging the SP3 battery. Even if it shuts down automatically, keep trying to power up. Drain the battery well. Then wait 24 hours.

After that, power up on charger.

The idea here is that perhaps some residual power is keeping your adapters from resetting. Give them a fresh try. Longshot.

Hope this helps.