What's new

Mapped drives not showing up on Explorer - Disconnecting

dld44

I sought help on this problem on another forum and had no success. I should have started here!

Since at least Windows XP through Windows 8.1, using Windows Explorer you are able to open the Network View, expand a displayed computer, right click on a drive or folder that has been set up as shared by the displayed computer, select "Map Network Drive...", assign a drive letter using the "Drive" drop-down menu, select "Reconnect at logon", and !wow! you have a mapped network drive that shows up every time you start up your computer as long as that network drive is accessible on the network. I've been using local mapped drives on my network for years, since at home I keep all important stuff on a desktop server. You can do this also with Windows 10, just as with the earlier OS levels.

But with Windows 10, on my SP3, those mappings sometimes have disappeared from Windows Explorer after the SP3 is awakened from sleep. To get to them again with Windows Explorer as mapped network drives, I must repeat the mapping operation, just like in the paragraph above. But unlike with the original mapping, the drive assignments still show up like I had set them previously under the "Map Network Drive..." dialog in the list of drive letter possibilities that show up when the "Drive:" drop-down menu is expanded. (As an aside, this means that I don't have to remember the drive letter I had previously used when remapping them, which makes it a bit easier to do. But it is still a pain in the derriere. )

When this happens Net View shows them as mapped. But they are not visible in Windows Explorer or in XYplorer (an Explorer replacement) unless I remap them. Any ideas?

DaveD

leeshor

I don't know why that's happening, however, you could create an out fashion batch file to remap the drives using the net use command. I have run into that same problem before even on Windows 7 systems. (Eventually when the cache gets straightened out it will stick).

OP
D

dld44

leeshor, good suggestion. I could batch the operation. However, yesterday I did a logoff/logon to make some (unrelated) system changes take effect and upon logon the drives were back in explorer. So this may also fix the problem. Since when they disappear they all disappear and it doesn't happen too often, likely the best thing to do is to do a logoff/logon if it does consistently fix the problem.
DaveD