What's new

M3 vs. i5

EnvEngineer

Now, I know this question has probably been asked so many times that you may want to throw tomatoes at me for asking, but I'm looking to buy my first Surface device, and I'm relatively stuck between the SP4: M3 or the i5 (4gb ram either way)

Little background info: I'm an Engineering student about to begin my masters program, and will largely be using the device for things such as email, youtube, homework, notes, etc. No gaming, no heavy art stuff save for the occasional sketch, and maybe, 'maybe' an AutoCAD type program (WaterCAD) But that can easily go on my desktop.

Top priorities - powerpoint, netflix, and a solid sketching ability for drafting various preliminary designs. Nothing intensive.

So my question is, would the M3 be machine enough to handle this task lineup? Or should I just outright go with the i5?

Looking forward to hearing from you Surface veterans!

Exhile

Welcome to the forum. I would say the choice between an M3 and the i5 would also come down to price. If you can afford to go for the i5 then do it but if not then go for the M3. The M3 is unable to support 3 displays when using DisplayPort with the Surface Dock if that matters to you.

kristalsoldier

Aside from what @Exhile mentioned which is all correct, also consider that you are entering a Masters' program - probably 2 years. So you will need a machine that lasts you at least that long. Given that, if I were you, I would consider the i5 finances permitting. It would just give you that much more of a headroom if your requirements change down the road (in the short term). Good luck with your choice and I am confident that you wont regret your purchase! The Surface is indeed an excellent device - speaking from personal experience!!

OP
EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

Welcome to the forum. I would say the choice between an M3 and the i5 would also come down to price. If you can afford to go for the i5 then do it but if not then go for the M3. The M3 is unable to support 3 displays when using DisplayPort with the Surface Dock if that matters to you.

If there were no monetary concern, I'd definitely be going for the 8gig model! But alass, I suffer the fate of most college students. Haha.

I don't think I plan on docking it, though that is something to consider!

Thank you for your input and speedy reply!

OP
EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

Aside from what @Exhile mentioned which is all correct, also consider that you are entering a Masters' program - probably 2 years. So you will need a machine that lasts you at least that long. Given that, if I were you, I would consider the i5 finances permitting. It would just give you that much more of a headroom if your requirements change down the road (in the short term). Good luck with your choice and I am confident that you wont regret your purchase! The Surface is indeed an excellent device - speaking from personal experience!!

Man, putting a time period on that really made me squeamish, haha.

But you are right, future proofing an investment probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Back to the old adage, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Thank you so much for your reply, and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

OP
EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

Follow up question-

Would a Surface Pro 3 i5 8gb ram be adequate for what I'm needing? I found a pretty solid deal on one, and had to ask.

Many thanks!

Exhile

Follow up question-

Would a Surface Pro 3 i5 8gb ram be adequate for what I'm needing? I found a pretty solid deal on one, and had to ask.

Many thanks!
You could use a used Surface Pro 3 but it doesn't have the same screen resolution as a Surface Pro 4 and was about 15% to 30% slower if I remember correctly. It's also used and not brand new too. But if the price is a good deal, then go for it.

OP
EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

You could use a used Surface Pro 3 but it doesn't have the same screen resolution as a Surface Pro 4 and was about 15% to 30% slower if I remember correctly. It's also used and not brand new too. But if the price is a good deal, then go for it.

Man, you are quick.

Resolution doesn't matter a whole lot to me, though the possibility of 30% slower sure stood out - that's pretty noticeable. Though I suppose if the machine is new to me, I may not notice.

Thank you again for your input, sir. You are an immense help!

clouds5

Now, I know this question has probably been asked so many times that you may want to throw tomatoes at me for asking, but I'm looking to buy my first Surface device, and I'm relatively stuck between the SP4: M3 or the i5 (4gb ram either way)

Little background info: I'm an Engineering student about to begin my masters program, and will largely be using the device for things such as email, youtube, homework, notes, etc. No gaming, no heavy art stuff save for the occasional sketch, and maybe, 'maybe' an AutoCAD type program (WaterCAD) But that can easily go on my desktop.

Top priorities - powerpoint, netflix, and a solid sketching ability for drafting various preliminary designs. Nothing intensive.

So my question is, would the M3 be machine enough to handle this task lineup? Or should I just outright go with the i5?

Looking forward to hearing from you Surface veterans!

I was in a similar situation and went m3 for 2 reasons:
-I had a very good deal at a local store (~800$ including type cover)
-No fan and slightly lighter

Performance wise I'm only interested in battery life as I use the tablet for similar things as you. Which is OK, better than expected. I was surprised to see that it can easily handle some slight gaming though :) I get about 4-5 hours of resident evil 4 for example. Pretty good when you hear the Nintendo switch will only do 3h.